Is this dead algae or a bloom?

thatnerdyguy

May 20, 2021
Pittsburgh, PA
13,000 gallon above ground

Just started opening pool like 18 hours ago. Has some smaller patches of it on the floor last night, brushed it up. Had this stuff last year as well. Not sure if its dead algae coming out of the water now that FC > 0, or an algae bloom.

Starting (before chemical additions):
CYA - 0 (added 1 lb a few hours ago, going to slowly bring it up)
FC - 0 (added 2-ish quarts 12.5% this morning)
pH - 8
TA - 100

Attachments

• PXL_20210520_183607809.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210520_183607809.MP.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 17
Ok, Nerdy, welcome to Trouble Free Pools :)

How are you testing your water? Which kit are you using? The reason I ask is we truly need to know the following results:
FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

How do you plan on sanitizing the pool henceforth- the liquid chlorine you used is IDEAL!

Go ahead and add 13 ounces of Muriatic Acid to bring your pH down to about 7.6.

You added CYA which will only take you up 9ppm. You need approximately 20ppm more. Go ahead and add 2 pounds to a sock and tie it off, then hang it from a broom stick in the water in front of a return. Squeeze it now and then (white liquid, safe) . The CYA will help you "hold on" to the chlorine you add.

Start adding 2 quarts of liquid chlorine (12%) daily which will give you 5ppm of FC. In about 2 days or so test your CYA to see if you've met your goal.

Wanna know how I know how much of each chemical to add to get the results you want?!? --> PoolMath or the classic web version found at the bottom of the computer page. I use that to help folks, and save the app for my own personal pool. Check it out!

See if things clear up just doing this, or you may need to perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT) to see if its an active algae outbreak.
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Let us know how things progress once you get that CYA and FC into the water.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.