Is this channeling? Pool hasn't cleared much last 2 days...

VinylDelight

Aug 9, 2022
MS
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am still post-flood recovery and the pool color is bad... but last night I did a vacuum and a brush in the AM... and today in the evening I basically see no improvement in the cloudiness despite the pool running in service mode 24/7. Another big thing that caught my eye today is I was vacuuming-to-filter and the deck jets were visibly cloudy! I'm still a pool newb (1 year only) but that seems totally off. I know next to nothing but the "idea" of channeling seems plausible to me -- I am 100% sucking up dirt with the vacuum, but then it seems to just be going right back into the pool. But I am not sure if that is the problem, and then I'm unsure of the solution next.

I captured these 2 photos which I think will be very diagnostically useful! These photos are the water collected from one of the pool jets.
The dirty water is from the vacuum-to-filter being connected, and the clean water is a minute or so later from just the normal filter pool setup.
filter4.jpgfilter1.jpg

The next photo set is simply the label on my sand filter.
filter3.jpgfilter2.jpg

Feels like I just have one problem after/during the next.... Thank you as always for helping.

When was the last time the filter was deep cleaned ? You've sure put some miles on it recently either way, and methinks you've earned opening it up to see what's going on. Then you can deep clean it while you're in there.

When was the last time the filter was deep cleaned ? You've sure put some miles on it recently either way, and methinks you've earned opening it up to see what's going on. Then you can deep clean it while you're in there.
The pool is only approaching its 4th year, and I have had it one but never deep cleaned the filter. In fact, I don't even know how to open it. I cannot say whether it was deep cleaned prior but I do know they ran the pool year-round.

It should be a yearly chore for any filter. It was time anyway and then you flooded and have it working overtime.

Oh and another thing I forgot to mention is that as I vacuumed for only those 15 or so minutes there was no rise in the psi which seemed suspect.

I am still post-flood recovery and the pool color is bad... but last night I did a vacuum and a brush in the AM... and today in the evening I basically see no improvement in the cloudiness despite the pool running in service mode 24/7. Another big thing that caught my eye today is I was vacuuming-to-filter and the deck jets were visibly cloudy! I'm still a pool newb (1 year only) but that seems totally off. I know next to nothing but the "idea" of channeling seems plausible to me -- I am 100% sucking up dirt with the vacuum, but then it seems to just be going right back into the pool. But I am not sure if that is the problem, and then I'm unsure of the solution next.

I captured these 2 photos which I think will be very diagnostically useful! These photos are the water collected from one of the pool jets.
The dirty water is from the vacuum-to-filter being connected, and the clean water is a minute or so later from just the normal filter pool setup.
View attachment 521560View attachment 521557

The next photo set is simply the label on my sand filter.
View attachment 521559View attachment 521558

Feels like I just have one problem after/during the next.... Thank you as always for helping.
Add a handful of DE or cellulose fiber through the skimmer. Needed after each backwash. Once clear no need to continue.

Add a handful of DE or cellulose fiber through the skimmer. Needed after each backwash. Once clear no need to continue.
Are you saying you simply drop de powder into the skimmer baskets that are next to the pool? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but I've been so paranoid about anything pool and try my damndest to keep everything out of those baskets. (Plus there is the skimmer basket that is touching the pump, which I'm unsure how that is referenced. )

Edit... I found a page on this sites home area and it appears this is indeed what you're saying. I will try this tomorrow as I research how to get inside my filter without breaking stuff!

Another question is, how does tfp feel about these chemical additives that you pour into the pump skimmer then let it sit in the filter for hours? I heard the community is anti floculant but I just learned about this stuff on the ol goog.

Last edited:
Another question is, how does tfp feel about these chemical additives that you pour into the pump skimmer then let it sit in the filter for hours?
If your sand is channeled, how will a chemical possibly help ?

If the filter is jam packed dirty, a chemical isn't going to physically displace the debris from the lower parts of the filter like a hose would.
I heard the community is anti floculant
Your filter is anti flocculant and we are anti things that wreck your filter. :)

However, this is the one of the rare instances where we will use it if the OP has the ability to vac to waste.

I'd try the DE as poolman suggested. Then if all else failed, go to the dark side.

How much DE is too much to add? I added probably 4 or 5 cups over the last hour and the pressure did not rise that 1 PSI i was looking for according to the TPF blog post.

How much DE is too much to add? I added probably 4 or 5 cups over the last hour and the pressure did not rise that 1 PSI i was looking for according to the TPF blog post.
Don't worry about a pressure rise. You just need enough to coat the sand bed about 1/8" and it will be good. You've added enough, let it work. It will all be removed at the next backwash.

Reactions: VinylDelight

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Despite running this pump nearly constantly since at least this post, the pool has not really cleared up. After adding the DE the pressure did rise 25% and I backwashed, but that was a few days ago and it just hasn't cleared up much despite brushing -- it looks like I agitate things well and then it simply settles. The chlorine has been high as well. So I really need to figure out how to clean this filter I think at this point...

The photos show the valves and there appears to be some silicone putty around them... so this, to me, is somewhat intimidating because I am removing pipes to a pool filter that presumably was installed by a pro, and I am not even an amateur yet! So beyond knowing what I need to have on hand to begin, what pitfalls do I need to be on the lookout for that might prevent me from putting it back together (the main reason I think of this is that there could be gaskets that are still functional but wont be after they are taken apart.. it's just a total guess of course)?

Attachments

• va1.jpg
    va1.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 12
  • va2.jpg
    va2.jpg
    457 KB · Views: 12
You will need to install 3 Unions to be able to take it apart. Well. You can cut without the unions but you'll need them to put it back together.

View attachment 524228
Thank you. Exactly what I was wondering.
Now, my follow up question, why do I need to cut and add unions rather than simply undo the threads? The prior owner/installer left a tube of silicone "gasket maker" right next to this apparatus, presumably for this.

Now, my follow up question, why do I need to cut and add unions rather than simply undo the threads?
The pipes are fixed and won't turn. Once you cut them, they would unscrew and you could put them back together with couplers, but that just kicks the can down the road for next time. If you're going through the trouble, add unions for future you. You like the guy and all, do him a solid.
The prior owner/installer left a tube of silicone "gasket maker" right next to this apparatus, presumably for this.
That might have been for the spider gasket inside the MPV (under the flat head bolts). But that only removes the top half of the MPV and to get to the sand in the tank, the whole MPV needs removing, unless the 3 pipes leaving the MPV have unions further down the line and you can take it off like a literal 3 long legged spider.

Hey Vinyl Delight 👋
Just catching up on your thread! @Newdude has you covered! Just wanted to add … make sure you’re keeping your fc up (high target 🎯 or even a bit higher) its got alot of stuff to work on when you have alot of debris in the pool. Do an
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test & do the
SLAM Process if needed.
After you do the deep cleaning ensure you have the correct level of sand while you’re in there before buttoning everything back up.

Reactions: newdude
Thank you. Exactly what I was wondering.
Now, my follow up question, why do I need to cut and add unions rather than simply undo the threads? The prior owner/installer left a tube of silicone "gasket maker" right next to this apparatus, presumably for this.
Unions are far easier to install in "fixed" plumbing than trying to add couplers. Be sure to get pool unions as below. You cut a 1/2" section out of each pipe to make room for the union, not off each end of the cut pipes. By using unions you will have an easier time re-installing the valve and not have to disturb those already-damaged male adapters that are threaded into the valve. Pipe fittings should never be threaded completely in like those are.

While unions are best practice on the pump, if all goes well it isn't an issue for 15 years. The filter should be deep cleaned once a year so it's an ongoing issue.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thank you all so much... I feel like it is possible despite this challenge...

My local ACE sells some unions and I will pick up 3 of those in 1.5", plus I will get a bag of HTH pool sand there (I'm assuming I will need to top off the normal loss of sand and get to the "free board" 10.25" that the manual indicates), and I believe I will be able to get the recommended Danco grease for the O-rings I read somewhere on here, but is there anything else I should have just in case or I am definitely not aware of? Specifically I was wondering what are the odds that the gaskets or O-rings in the 6 valve assembly are going to be shot and I will need to replace them? (Obviously I would like to have them on hand if this is likely because that might mean my filter is off for days until I get that repaired.)

Specifically I was wondering what are the odds that the gaskets or O-rings in the 6 valve assembly are going to be shot and I will need to replace them?
It not related to this. There is a clamp on the bottom of the MPV and once the pipes are cut, it will come off as a whole and not need to be opened.

It never hurts to have commonly failed parts on hand though. :)

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.