Is this Calcium Leeching?

Apr 18, 2017
Alexandria, LA
Hey guys, I've been in a slow but sure slam process for close to a month. Being away from home a lot means I fall below the shock level throughout the day, but last night i finally passed the over night chlorine loss test. I've been so worried about shock levels, free chlorine, and pH, that I haven't been thinking about Calcium hardness. My reading was 60, which i know is extremely low for the plaster in my pool.

Since owning the pool for a year, I have noticed these spots where it looks as if it has chipped or scraped off. I just thought it was attributing from an aging pool, but since i just recently been visiting the forums, and have learning l learned pool chemistry, is this what Calcium Leeching looks like? If so, aside from raising CH to keep it from continuing, is there any side effects to this other than it's not very pretty? It isn't terrible, this is the worst part. Is there a process of repairing it with a full drain in the future?
931a768a42c2ce2a6ccb9349ce0fae4a.jpg

~11,500 gallon in-ground 27 x 13 ft
3 ft in shallow, 5.5 ft in deep
Plaster bottom/fiberglass sides(?)

By the way, some said they had never seen a pool that is part fiberglass part plaster. I finally can get pictures of it. Am i crazy or is that what my pool is?

~11,500 gallon in-ground 27 x 13 ft
3 ft in shallow, 5.5 ft in deep
Plaster bottom/fiberglass sides(?)

There are hybrid pools with plaster bottoms and fiberglass sides. Are you crazy? Ask your spouse. :-D

Yes, etching is calcium dissolving from the plaster into the water leaving pits. Raising the CH and keeping your pH in range will stop the process. There is not any good way to repair it. If there are rough spots that hurt feet then you can sand them with 80-100 grit wet/dry sandpaper.

More here about CH levels, Pool School - Recommended Levels
More here about how to raise CH, Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
More here about etching, Pool School - Calcium Scaling

More here about how to put your pool info into your signature, Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.