Is this algae?

texasgirl2009

Gold Supporter
May 31, 2020
Dallas, TX
Hi- this is our second summer with our fiberglass pool. Last summer it seem like we had a lot of dust and they were doing road work nearby but it was mostly managed with a robot vacuum and brushing. This summer I am noticing what seems like more accumulation (see pics) on the bottom and on the steps every day. Water also has a greenish tint compared to last year. I was thinking this was dust, but is it actually algae?
chlorine had been running at around 3. I bumped up the SWCG last night and today my
FC by the drop test is 7.5, with no ccs.
ph-7.8
TA- 60
CYA- 35
CH- 125

FFAA69B4-E04F-4BE7-9680-B1EFFD357153.jpegFF2F001F-6DE1-4859-9CDC-BF5AF845215E.jpeg

tg, while that stuff on the steps looks brown and could be dirt, I would also recommend the OLCT because your FC was a bit low and your CYA is under the recommended level for a salt pool. Don't increase the CYA yet though. Be sure to pass the OCLT first to ensure you have no algae, especially with that mysterious green tint. If you pass the OCLT, then you can increase the CYA which should help maintain a better FC level.

Pool is clear again! It was just dissolved dirt and dust I think. We cleaned the cartridge filter - we had done it about 6 weeks ago so I thought it was too early to need to again, but we have had tons of rain so maybe that brought in more dirt than usual? After cleaning and running the pumps/filter overnight, it looks almost back to the clarity we had last summer!

Keep an eye on your filter pressure. Note what it is now and clean again when you see a 10% rise in pressure. If you have a variable speed pump you may need to check the pressure gauge with the pool running on higher speeds.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.