Is this algae? Noticed in on my steps.

Hard to say from that picture.

Regardless, lower your pH to the low 7's. May take a few applications.

What is your CYA?

Get some Vitamin C tablets and put them in a sock and crush them up. Set that on the stains. If they disappear, it is iron.

Any granulated fertilizer used around the pool lately? Some of those have iron.

Get some Vitamin C tablets and put them in a sock and crush them up. Set that on the stains. If they disappear, it is iron.

Any granulated fertilizer used around the pool lately? Some of those have iron.

Added MA the other night. Tested 48 hours later, pH dropped to 7.8. Spots gone. You are amazing. Thank you.

I am going to try to keep my pH around 7.5 so I added a little more MA last night.

Updated:

Definitely not gone.

It is 100% some form of algae.

Do I need to SLAM it or just raise the chlorine levels high for something like this?

I already began the SLAM process but I'm only at 16PPM Chlorine right now. For SWG @ 50 CYA, Shock level is 24PPM. That's a lot of bleach.

I got some stabilizer coming in the mail as well. I'll raise my CYA up a bit.

Thoughts?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Updated:

Definitely not gone.

It is 100% some form of algae.

Do I need to SLAM it or just raise the chlorine levels high for something like this?

I already began the SLAM process but I'm only at 16PPM Chlorine right now. For SWG @ 50 CYA, Shock level is 24PPM. That's a lot of bleach.

I got some stabilizer coming in the mail as well. I'll raise my CYA up a bit.

Thoughts?

You don't want to raise your CYA until you complete a SLAM.

Good point.

I got it up to 18PPM. You think that enough?

Your CYA is 18? How are you testing? 18 is below the threshold of available testing accuracy.

We recommend 30 PPM CYA for a SLAM Process because you want enough CYA to keep your FC from just straight burning off in the sun, but we need to make sure you’re getting accurate readings and have accounted for any CYA you added that might not be showing up in tests yet before you try to add any more.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.