f3justusc

Aug 15, 2012
Orlando, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So, these spots have been in my pool for about a month. Initially, i thought it was stain that had gotten into the pool. Then, last weekend I decided to do the Vitamin C test and nothing changed. Then, realizing my water was clear but not crystal I decided to do a SLAM with the addition of the 24 hour algae kill.
Overnight in losing 2 -2.5 ppm chlorine and throughout the day it drifts down as well. My target range with 30 CYA was 14 but throughout the process I've keep the chlorine level at 25 -18. I'm using the Taylor 2006 kit and testing FC and CC. The most CC that I've had is 1 but usually it's 0. The pool has regained some clarity so I know something is in there.

I am looking for two things. Confirmation that what I'm seeing is algae. Tell me to keep going.

Attachments

• 20240514_121202.jpg
    20240514_121202.jpg
    452.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 20240514_121153.jpg
    20240514_121153.jpg
    570.6 KB · Views: 32
So, these spots have been in my pool for about a month. Initially, i thought it was stain that had gotten into the pool. Then, last weekend I decided to do the Vitamin C test and nothing changed. Then, realizing my water was clear but not crystal I decided to do a SLAM with the addition of the 24 hour algae kill.
Overnight in losing 2 -2.5 ppm chlorine and throughout the day it drifts down as well. My target range with 30 CYA was 14 but throughout the process I've keep the chlorine level at 25 -18. I'm using the Taylor 2006 kit and testing FC and CC. The most CC that I've had is 1 but usually it's 0. The pool has regained some clarity so I know something is in there.

I am looking for two things. Confirmation that what I'm seeing is algae. Tell me to keep going.
Do you have trees nearby? Those look more like leave/acorn stains. Do they brush off?

Absolutely do have trees. The stains Absolutely do not brush off. I don't let leaves remain in the pool. I gave two solar skimmers that collect them.
Its hard to see what you are referring to in the picture but I see some dark colored spot that look like a leaf or similar thing. If those things sit on the bottom they can stain the plaster but should come off over time.

If its algae you should be able to scrape some off and wipe it off on a paper towel. Algae will have green hue to it.

Share a full set of test results. FC far above SLAM level is not wise - risk to pool finish and pool equipment.
SLAM Process
Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Reactions: Donldson

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, I didn't look on it exactly but you do the SLAM until OCLT test meets the 3 criteria but because of the algae you keep the chlorine high for an additional 24 hours.
Your comment makes no sense. One of three criteria is that your pool is free of algae, so how can you pass the SLAM Process and still have algae?

What did you actually do?

Reactions: Bperry
I am not a fan of the wire brush, but if it works it works. You are in Orlando, pool should be warm enough to get into. Grab a mask and snorkel and get down there and pick at it. See if it flakes up.