North Attleboro, Massachusetts
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Despite the adage that no good deed goes unpunished, I'm about to embark on a project to help my brother install a SWCG on his pool (or, rather, he's going to help me...). This is what we're working with:

1000010455.jpg
1000010454.jpg

I'm thinking the flex hose can be replaced with hard PVC and the generator can go on the vertical downleg to the returns. Like this:

1000010461.jpg

I know that I can unscrew the fitting from the filter outlet, but I'm more limited at the connection to the returns. It seems like it would be ideal if I could keep the existing union, but I'll need a new female side to it.

1000010459.jpg

Does anyone know if this is a standard union that I can buy at a pool store or big box store? How can I find out?

Any other thoughts or advice is certainly welcome. I am going to work on encouraging him to think about a VSP but that's out of scope for this project.

Does anyone know if this is a standard union that I can buy at a pool store or big box store? How can I find out?
Look for numbers on the union nut...if there are, take a pic and post, or translate to text.

The other alternative is to take the nut to the big box and test.

Last edited:
Take the length of flex pipe and the SWG to a plumbing supply store. Note, not a plumbing aisle. You want the place the pros go. You probably pass a dozen a week without even knowing. Ferguson (sp?) Is a big chain and are probably by you too.

The counter folks at the plumbing supply will disappear in the back for a few minutes and return with everything you need.

Reactions: MITBeta
What SWG are you installing?
Don't forget, the flow switch needs to be horizontal - or if vertical, the flow needs to run upward (not downward like in your drawing. Also, if the flow switch is separate from the SWG, it usually requires a 12" straight pipe run before the water enters the flow switch(the cell can count for part of that 12").

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
Haven't decided on a SWCG yet, but was leaning towards a CircuPool RJ45+. The manual for this doesn't say anything about orienting it down when mounted vertically.

But if I take all of your conditions, it sounds like I would need to come down, 90 over for about 2 feet, then add two 90s and mount the cell and switch on the resulting horizontal.

Like this:

1000010463.jpg

Reactions: Newdude and proavia
The manual for this doesn't say anything about orienting it down when mounted vertically.
I believe the RJs have external flow switches so the cell can go any way. Your brothers simple system should have no problems with flow. I wouldn't be worried about the 12 inch straight pipe recs.

Anywho, there's many ways to plumb it, here's another

Screenshot_20230521_204914_Chrome.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For reference, the unions are not standard on the RJ series, at least not with big box store hardware. Even they don’t have standard unions as I went to to go buy another for my sprinkler system to replace a broken one from last year and they switched sup pool owes so the new unions are different than the style from last year.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.