is this a hydrostat?

Rhas_Al'Pool

thank you guys all--both in advance for any insight offered in response to this question and but also for such a helpful resource in general. so we're on a mountainside in the southwestern California desert planning a quick drain/clean/refill. not terribly concerned about water table/popping issues but in recognition of the risk: does the attached image look like a hydrostatic valve? it's dead center deep-end and there's an identical twin in the middle of the spa. has to be, right? I can't tell. thanks so much again and trouble-free pooling to you and yours.

Attachments

• 20210121_093027.jpg
    20210121_093027.jpg
    216.8 KB · Views: 10
Welcome to the forum!
That appears to be the main drain. If you only have one in the pool and the spa, then this pool was built many years ago. Two are now required.
And no, there will not be a hydrostatic valve in your pool.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

There might be a hydrostat under the main drain cover.

The cover is old and needs to be replaced with a new cover.

I would remove the cover and check for a hydrostat.

Have a new cover ready to install.

If there is a hydrostat, replace it with a new one.

If there is no hydrostat, then you probably don't need one.

Verify that the ground water does not present a float risk to the pool before draining.

To be honest, those old style drains are pretty unsafe. They make covers to retrofit them. Also, if you do any permit work on the pool, there is a good chance they will force you to tear it out and upgrade. If that happens, abandon it in the pool. It is not necessary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.