Is there really a lawn edging that works?

rajung

Mar 17, 2015
Cedar Falls, Iowa
Needing to do some replacement edging between some grass and decorative rock. Currently I placed the brown fiber type stuff from Menards along with the plastic anchor pins about 4 years ago but it is now lifting out from the freeze / thaw .
I have tried the black plastic tube edge style , black and brown fiber flat style but all do not last.
I do see some retailers have a 3 or 4 ft long metal strip used as edging, are these any better? Just seems the narrow width of any edging available just is not wide enough.

We love the metal edging! Here is a picture of it being installed. We have river rock around the pool equipment and light colored mulch in the path and black mulch in the flowerbed now. It’s great!!

Attachments

• 63A1EC7A-E238-4CFF-B44A-2613DE756F5D.jpeg
    63A1EC7A-E238-4CFF-B44A-2613DE756F5D.jpeg
    596.3 KB · Views: 97
I never met a edging I truly liked. The metal is definitely one of the better ones. It comes in different thickness and depths. The more the better for those dimensions. I have also seen the metal heave and look unsightly after a while. I imagine it is all based on what type of soil is under it and how much frost you get. Here is my latest attempt. Most of the time cobbles are set with a exposed edge. This time I am installing them flush with both surfaces so I can mow over them and hopefully cut down on the trimming. I will need to post back in a few years to give a proper recommendation of this method.. :)IMG_20181013_155730-3024x2268.jpg

I never met a edging I truly liked. The metal is definitely one of the better ones. It comes in different thickness and depths. The more the better for those dimensions. I have also seen the metal heave and look unsightly after a while. I imagine it is all based on what type of soil is under it and how much frost you get. Here is my latest attempt. Most of the time cobbles are set with a exposed edge. This time I am installing them flush with both surfaces so I can mow over them and hopefully cut down on the trimming. I will need to post back in a few years to give a proper recommendation of this method.. :)View attachment 102092

Rich, I did the same thing you did when I lived back east, only thing different I did, was mortar the joints so no grass grew between them. :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We have had several versions over the years - and the best one so far has been the aluminum metal edging by Sure-loc installed during our last lawn do-over. The Sure-loc has stakes that lock to the edging material and go pretty deep into the dirt which helps them stay in place really well. We don't have freeze issues here in Northern California, but with our super wet winters followed by super dry summers it almost does the same thing as a freeze cycle eventually pushing them up out of the ground.

So the metal does not heave back out of the ground from the freeze and thaw?
Ours did somewhat where it was not installed deep enough. But we like it. The rocks definitely let the grass grow in the area where we have not used the metal edging. When cutting the grass, we need to use a weed wacker/edger to cut the grass against it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.