Is there an automation system that can change speeds of a VS pump while running solar

The message is getting confused again here. This is not about running solar at a different speed (which any solar controller can do). This is about running solar at *two* different speeds. One speed to prime solar, then a second different speed to hold the solar at once it's primed.

Afaik none of the Pentair or Jandy controllers can do this. It sounds like only Hayward controllers have this feature.

I looked at this a little closer and was hopeful I could somehow use the delay feature to turn the pump off each time there is a "call for heat" signal. This would allow you to use the normal "prime" cycle that most VS pumps have. Unfortunately It doesn't appear possible to do this with the existing configuration software. However, I think it would be fairly easy to use a momentary-off relay that is installed in the supply voltage to the pump relay that is triggered by the "call for heat" signal. There are many different models that will trigger from a 24vac signal and allow a user adjustable "off time". So the way this would work is as follows:
  • Use any speed you wanted to run solar at after prime.
  • Connect the relay output in series with one wire on the pump relay input signal
  • Connect input to the relay from the solar "call for heat" signal from the control system
  • Set the mode of the relay to "momentary off" and the "off time" for a few seconds.
Each time solar heat is called for the pump would briefly switch off and then restart at "prime speed" then reduce to the selected solar speed. Seems like it would be easy to configure using the RS 485 or digital inputs for most pump manufacturers.

Don't know if this is helpful to you but it's the only way I can see to accomplish two different operating speeds and it requires one of the speeds is the "prime speed" used for your pump. If this is of interest just search online for "momentary off relay". There are many to choose from like the ones below.

Chris

1596281017237.png
1596281071139.png

The message is getting confused again here. This is not about running solar at a different speed (which any solar controller can do). This is about running solar at *two* different speeds. One speed to prime solar, then a second different speed to hold the solar at once it's primed.

Afaik none of the Pentair or Jandy controllers can do this. It sounds like only Hayward controllers have this feature.
r,

Can you please let me know what Hayward controllers have this capability and how to do it?

Thanks.

Chris

As mentioned early on the post, are those with intelliflo using the flow function or rpm to set their speeds? Maybe that is the trick. I have solar panels and use the flow function. I use 5 GPM per panel to set the solar speed. I can hear the pump change RPMs then settle down. It might be doing what you are asking. Maybe Jim will pop back with his wisdom. For the record, I controlled it with pentair automation and Pentair VSF pump.

Reactions: setsailsoon
That's a pretty nice feature. How do you make it do this with a time delay then a different speed?
The controllers basically have a solar priming mode much like pump startup. Solar must be enabled and Valve 3 must be configured for solar (i.e. solar valve). When solar turns on, the pump runs at the programmed max pump speed and after 3 min. it steps to the programmed valve 3 pump speed and this speed can be different than the timer period so you can have 3 speeds; priming solar, solar, non-solar. AquaLogic, the controller I have, is a little different since it does not have a valve 3 speed so only two speeds are used, high speed for priming and normal timer speed.

However, I noticed that you do not have a Hayward pump so you may have to configure the pump and controller to utilized the digital logic control lines instead.

Also, depending on the height of the VRV, this feature may not be relevant. If the VRV is on the top of the roof, you will need fairly high pressure, high flow and high RPM to keep it closed so having a priming mode isn't really necessary.

Reactions: setsailsoon
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.