Is there a leak?

Topfox

Jul 2, 2018
VA
Hey everyone,

I have a new 20x40 salt water gunite pool, 3.5-8ft deep, white plaster, with solar heat and a solid grey auto cover. I also have anpolaris vacuum that runs 2 hours everyday and the pool pump system runs about 12hrs a day. Currently the pool is being used roughly once a week, so probably in a full week the cover is off maybe 6-7 hours total. About an hour on Thursday for pool maintenance from a pool company, and then the rest on Saturdays when I can actually enjoy the pool.

Since getting the pool I have noticed every Saturday when I open the cover the pool water is anywhere from 1-2in lower than where I filled it to the previous Saturday. So I seem to be putting water into the pool on a weekly basis. Is this normal?

I thought with the solid Autocover that was to help maintain the water level in addition to warming the pool. I assume there will still be some natural water loss, but guess I didn’t expect it to be this frequent.

That seems a little bit excessive for a covered pool. Narrow down your loss. Mark it exactly and report if it is 1" (probably OK) or 2 " (probably a small leak).

I know you didn't ask, but keeping a pool covered 95% of the time in warm weather is not the best scenario. Pools like to "breath" some fresh air from time to time. I would uncover it at least 24 hours each week.

My new pool has the cover off for 3-4 hours most days and we loose about an inch a week.... and we have just discovered we have a leak [emoji35] Granted we are in winter here but daytime temps are around 25*C so quite warm. If in doubt check it out. Although right now I kind of wish I didn’t know we had a leak and still blissfully unaware.

Just to close this out, my pool
builder finally sent some one over a few weeks ago. Yes almost a year later, and it ended up being a relief valve issue. They replaced the valve and after a year of stress and losing water, it seems to finally be resolved.

Reactions: Casey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.