Is there a “best” time of year to resurface plaster

Bam Bam

Gold Supporter
Sep 14, 2019
Columbia, SC
My thinking before jumping into TFP was that resurfacing my plaster pool should be done at the end of the season and before closing for “winter”. Now I wonder if winterizing may or may not harm the new surface.

So should resurfacing be done before or after winterizing or does it really matter?

Reason for winterizing is the massive amount of leaves and pine straw that fall.

I would resurface at the beginning of the season which gives you a few months to let the plaster cure and manage the water chemistry. Particularly the pH which rises as the plaster cures. If you close the pool soon after replastering you can get very high pH while the pool is closed that can cause scaling.

You also want to plaster when the temperature is not too cold and not too hot. You want the temperature to stay above 50 degrees at night and you don't want them plastering when temperatures are 100+ degrees and the plaster dries out before they can get water into the pool. In hot weather tenting the pool can keep the plaster from drying too quickly.

Actually, just before winter is the worst time to resurface your plaster. After your pool is redone the pH will increase and If your pool is covered you won’t be able to keep up with the pH increase. Because of this there’s a huge chance your CSI will go out of balance and calcium scale will likely occur. Additionally with the pool covered you likely won’t be able to brush as frequent, so again, good chance for scale.

Either keep your pool open or redo it early spring. Here’s an article with some additional tips,
Pool Plaster Tips for the Average Homeowner - Trouble Free Pool

You can still get bids. Give them your timeline and have them guarantee the price for your intended timeline. If you are satisfied with one in particular, get on their spring schedule now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.