Is that algae or pollen

Dmitrynt

Jun 9, 2018
Monroe Township/NJ
Hello please look at attached images where i have added pool chemistry results and photos of pool floor. Not sure how to attack it. If i move that stuf it just turns to "clouds". Nothing on the walls. It accumulates in corners and vinyl indentations and seems.

Thanks

Attachments

an1vrsy

Bronze Supporter
Jul 10, 2018
Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Trouble Free Pool Care basic principle is that the pool owner tests their own pool water. It is very difficult to advise on next steps using pool store water tests. Those tests are not consistent which makes them unreliable.

How do you chlorinate your water? What test kit to you have? Recommendations for TFPC are either the TF-100 by TFTestkits.net or the Taylor K-2006C

Post up of set of your own test results, and one of the experts will be by shortly.

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
Pools all have their own little quirks, like in how they circulate water. In your case I would imagine that what you're seeing is dead algae or debris that tends to collect in those spots you mentioned.

From your test results (even though they're always questionable when you haven't done them yourself) I see you're quite low on FC. That very well may be algae with such low chlorine.
Have you seen this--> FC/CYA Chart
I would also suggest you consider your CYA at 50, as anything over 40 is 50.

You can try to pin it down by doing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (OCLT) to see if you lose chlorine overnight which would imply algae over anything else. Directions--> Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Maddie :flower:

JoeSelf

Gold Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Glassboro NJ
CYA is 40. Only whole tens. SLAM level is 16. Keep at it and maintain 16 as much as you can. Minimum 4 times daily. Hit it hard over the weekend.

And Howdy neighbor.

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
You'll save on reagents if you use 10 mL of pool water for your sample of FC, with one heaping scoop of DPD powder and count each drop of reagent and devide by 2 for your FC/CC levels.

Maddie :flower:

frogabog

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 16, 2010
Portland, Oregon
I would call that 40 and SLAM for it. While it is best to do the test in full sun, the dot is clearly visible in both pics. I bet at 40 it would be obscured.

Dmitrynt

Jun 9, 2018
Monroe Township/NJ
Frogabog,
i think you mean the other way around? its closer to 30? the scale is decreasing from bottom up. So if i can still see dot at 32, i would maybe not see it if i added more test liquid and my reading be at 30 or even 25?

frogabog

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 16, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Yes, you're right about more liquid. Except if you can still see it at what you would think is 32, but not at 30 then we round up to 40. We can't judge between the lines due to the fact the scale is logarithmic, not linear. Anything in between lines gets rounded up to the next 10.

If you do the test again in the sun with your back to it you'll get a better reading. Do it 3 times, take your best two numbers.

Reactions: JoeSelf