Is TF-50 Test Kit sufficient?

The OTO does come with the TF-100, but it is not the key FAS-DPD chlorine test that is in both kits ... that is what you will want to use.

This is the first time you stated that the water is green. I was under the impression that this was a fresh fill and that you were adding bleach to keep some FC in the water (and prevent algae) until the SWG was installed.

Now that you say you have algae. Things change. You still need to add 30ppm of CYA (which will not clear up the green), but now you need to follow the SLAM Process, which requires the FAS-DPD, to clear up the green. BUT, you need to have water circulation and filtration.

When are you going to have a working pump and filter? The SWG can wait as you need to SLAM before starting that up.

Since you say you know nothing yet about pools, I will suggest you start to read Pool School. Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

This is a new fill and I had ordered a new sand filter pump and SWG so no pump has been hooked up until today. The pool has been filled with water for 5 days without a pump running so I used the pool calculator to see how much chlorine and cya I needed to add to try and prevent algae. It has been clear until today. I poured the chlorine in the pool yesterday evening and stirred it up with the pool brush the best I could. When I checked it this morning, that is when it was green.

I did not have the cya until today but I have added that in this evening. The pump is hooked up and has been running since this afternoon. My initial FC test I did this morning was hard to read as I stated earlier but the best I could read it was 1.5. I added 76 oz. more of bleach this evening to try to reach an FC of 5. I also did a PH test and it was 6.8 so I added 15 oz. of borax. I also added 4 lbs. of baking soda but since I do not have my TF-50 Test Kit yet, I do not have a way to test it. I just wanted to go ahead and raise the TA some, I hope.

I have read everything in Pool School also. It is hard to really understand it until you start working with the chemicals and testing. I am starting to feel a bit more comfortable with it all. I did not see the last message until just a little while ago that said I need to SLAM the pool. I hope that what I have done today is not going to hurt it. I have not added the salt yet since I read that I needed to get everything balanced first and then add the salt.

Why did you add baking soda without knowing your TA? We never add chemicals blindly.

Yes you need to SLAM, you can target your slam level FC, but will not be able to confirm until your test arrives.

Ok, I was wrong in doing that. Will never add anything again without testing. Since I do not know the CYA level, then how do I know what my target FC slam level should be?

I ordered my test kit Tuesday so I hope to get it soon. It's supposed to be mailed USPS Priority Mail.

Thank you! Water is clearer today. It was only a slight green color to begin with. I did add more bleach yesterday evening and just tested it with the yellow OTO test. Still have not received by TF-50 Test Kit. The chlorine level is beyond 5 as the yellow is darker than a 5. My PH is still at 6.8 so I know I need to raise that. Pool Math showed I needed to add 15 oz. of borax to raise it from 6.8 to 7.5 and I did that yesterday but it didn't change. Should I add that same amount again? Should I try soda ash or washing soda? Is one better than the other?

Soda ash and washing soda are exactly the same thing, two names, same chemical. Borax is slightly preferred over soda ash for raising PH, but either will do.

Continue raising the PH until it is at least 7.2. Keep in mind that the PH test won't work correctly if the FC level is really high.

Ok. So, at this point I still have not received my TF-50 Test Kit. Should I continue to add bleach even though I don't know the exact level it is right now to continue to reduce the slight green that is left in the pool? It's above 5 for sure because of the darker yellow on the OTO test I currently have. And, I will add more borax to try and raise the PH to at least 7.2 like you said to do. If the high chlorine level is throwing off the PH test, does it usually make the PH test numbers lower or higher than they actually are, or could it affect it either way?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
TF-50 Test Kit arrived. First test results:

FC 4
CC 1
TC 5
CH 200
TA 50
PH 6.8
CYA Did not test yet since I just added 3 lbs. 8 oz. 2 days ago

Water is clear. I have not added the salt yet. Is it ok to add the salt now? I know the TA needs to come up.
Yes and yes. Personally, I'd add Baking Soda to get TA to 90ish and let it mix half an hour, and then see if pH needs more adjustment. And then let the kids in the pool when you add the salt. Read Post 5

Should I add more borax to get the PH up also?
Not yet. I'd add Baking Soda to get TA to 90ish and let it mix half an hour, and then see if pH needs more adjustment.

With low TA, the pH adjustment can be very volatile and a tiny bit over or under with the borax can make it swing wildly. So raise TA first to a reasonable number and then see if the pH has stabilized and then adjust it if necessary.

With a SWG, I would only raise the TA to about 70ppm. And actually I think you might want raise the pH first as that will also raise the TA some, then retest. Your TA should be enough to keep the pH swing down.

Not yet. I'd add Baking Soda to get TA to 90ish and let it mix half an hour, and then see if pH needs more adjustment.

With low TA, the pH adjustment can be very volatile and a tiny bit over or under with the borax can make it swing wildly. So raise TA first to a reasonable number and then see if the pH has stabilized and then adjust it if necessary.

I added the baking soda and retested. TA is 90. PH is definitely not 6.8 but not exactly 7.2 yet.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.