is "shock" any different from reg chlorine

Jun 23, 2017
Canonsburg, PA
Recently my girlfriend had purchased a 50 lb bucket of cal-hypo at 68%. for $135.00.

She also purchased a box of shock (same Brand name) cal hypo 78 % of 12, 1 lb. bags. (12 lbs.) for roughly $60.00.

Am i incorrect in thinking the "shock" is way overpriced or is there something i am missing besides the 10% increase in cl?

i was considering returning the shock.

i normally use liquid cl but currently none is available.

any suggestions?

"Shock" is a horribly mis-used term.
In both instances, you have cal hypo. One, the bag form, is in purer form. Adds more chlorine versus calcium. The other is less pure.
If you use the entire 50 lb bucket of cal hypo in your pool, it will raise your CH by 150 ppm. Be aware of that.

The bag stuff is a bit more expensive. More packaging and a purer form. And, of course, it is 'Shock', so that means it is more expensive!

"Shock" is a horribly mis-used term.
In both instances, you have cal hypo. One, the bag form, is in purer form. Adds more chlorine versus calcium. The other is less pure.
If you use the entire 50 lb bucket of cal hypo in your pool, it will raise your CH by 150 ppm. Be aware of that.

The bag stuff is a bit more expensive. More packaging and a purer form. And, of course, it is 'Shock', so that means it is more expensive!
i get that and hate all of the misleading names and descriptions. i guess the real question I'm asking is there a real difference other than the percentage?

the cost is well over double so unless the "shock" bags dissolve or have something else in them i can't justify the expense.

am i being too picky or cheap?

i thought if the bucket works the same i probably don't need it and can spend the 60 bucks on the chemicals i really need.

The bagged is simply purer form. Less calcium added for the equivalent chlorine rise in your pool volume.

If the bucket is granules and not tablets then I would stick with the bucket and return the bags. The upcharge for the bagged shock is to pay for the convenience of having it measured in 1 lb increments.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.