Is pink slime and white water mold a problem in chlorine pools also?

Can Ahhsome be used in biguanide pools? I did some research on this product but didn't find anything that specifies what sanitizing systems it is compatible with....sounds interesting though and has good reviews. Thanks for mentioning it.

Ahh-some is typically used in hot tubs where you dump the water after running the purge. I think the company sells a pool filter cleaning product. You'd have to call and ask them if they have anything available for pool use. Their standard hot tub product creates A LOT of foam.....A LOT OF FOAM.

The instructions for Ahh-some indicate 1 oz. per 2500 gallons of pool water. There is a separate product for hot tubs. I have anti-foam if things start getting crazy.

Sounds good. Let us know how it works out. I don't believe anyone around here has reported using Ahh-some pool related products so it will be good to have a data point if you do use it. I would suggest giving them a call as the owner/developer will often give out advice on product use for specific pool situations.

Can Ahhsome be used in biguanide pools? I did some research on this product but didn't find anything that specifies what sanitizing systems it is compatible with....sounds interesting though and has good reviews. Thanks for mentioning it.

you know, after reading your posts, i think i might have been remembering incorrectly. it may have been the aqua finesse i was thinking about seeing. good catch. i have never used that either. probably shouldn't have mentioned it. glad you figured it out. i have no idea if ahhsome will work on baquacil.... sorry for the misdirection.

i did not catch that you had a DE filter. yes, if you decide to stay on baquacil, i would recommend going to sand. my original builder put me on baquacil and a de filter. I did not want a chlorine based pool based on my experiences at public pools. after a year or so with the de filter i had had enough. much too frequent "bumping" and taking the "finger" to the car wash. major pita. sand works much better for baquacil in my experience.

still so glad i switched to chlorine....so far. when i started on baquacil i also relished the once/wk test/dosing. very little effort other than cleaning debris that you have to do on any pool. yes, it cost more, but i didnt know how much more since i had never operated a pool on chlorine.

i feel your pain regarding amount of work in general required for home ownership. ALWAYS something that needs to be done. the list never gets shorter. sounds like you are a prime candidate for a landominium community! good luck whatever you decide.

i went back to the ahhsome website for more information on applicability. their info on the swimming pool product says it works on all sanitizing systems but does not expressly state biguanide. i would call them before using it to be sure.

Emailed the company directly and got a reply from the boss saying that it's compatible with my system. I think I'll also call them to make sure.

I see you did 25 years with Baquacil? Wow....a few years more than I've got going here I think. Not sure when I switched from chlorine anymore. I think we both deserve some sort of achievement (or at least endurance) award LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like you are looking for another bandaid :gone:

Yeah...guess so...but one of these times I just might come across the product that actually works! I didn't know there was anything out there to treat slime / mold beyond the aqua finesse and the (formerly available) softswim assist tablets. Worth a try.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds good. Let us know how it works out. I don't believe anyone around here has reported using Ahh-some pool related products so it will be good to have a data point if you do use it. I would suggest giving them a call as the owner/developer will often give out advice on product use for specific pool situations.

Thanks Matt...worth a shot.

I think I'm heading in the conversion direction. Spent about 2 more hours working today - first using a wire brush (even that is not getting off all the slime and mold from the walls), then swept (by now the pool is a lovely shade of milky-white), then cleaned all the tiles. So NOW I can watch the filter pressure take off sometime tomorrow or Monday, then I get to spend a few more hours taking that all apart and cleaning it. The "Ahhsome" product is definitely a last-ditch effort. I cannot do this biguanide thing much longer. Visited my in-laws today who have an above-ground pool that uses chlorine. Their water looks absolutely beautiful. Mine looks like that sometimes, but certainly not most of the time.

Questions about if I convert...1) WILL the chlorine take care of the mold and slime that is already attached to the plaster (and seemingly very resistant to brushing). Also, 2) how long during (or after) the conversion process before you can swim in the pool again?

- - - Updated - - -

Have you used the Baquacil CDX product this season?

Also, do you have any way of getting an exact sanitizer level reading other than test strips?

There's a biguanide test kit that few people have because it's ridiculously expensive but it does tell you a more precise number for sanitizer level.

Have you used the Baquacil CDX product this season?

Also, do you have any way of getting an exact sanitizer level reading other than test strips?

There's a biguanide test kit that few people have because it's ridiculously expensive but it does tell you a more precise number for sanitizer level.

Been using CDX for the past few years - so every time I add oxidizer I follow up with CDX. As for getting a reading, all I've been using is those Baquacil test strips which are pitiful in terms of determining an oxidizer level and not a whole lot better in arriving at an accurate sanitizer level either. I've looked at the Taylor kit you're referring to several times over the past few months and really have considered buying it, but if I'm not going to stay on biguanide, it really seems like a waste to buy it. However, all that being said, I have recently ordered some Softswim test strips which do look like they have more accuracy in terms of color charts for both B and C levels. I considered getting them before but was concerned that they are specifically designed for softswim and not baquacil. Upon closer examination I see that they are supposed to work with other biguanide systems as well.

Are you asking about the sanitizer level as a question relative to chlorine conversion or moreso associated with my slime/mold problems under biguanide? Just wondering...being that I've recently started to think that I may not have been keeping either level high enough. I hate the baquacil test strips in that they have 2 different colors for the oxidizer....one is "add initial dose" and the other (a darker color) is to "add maintenance dose". Wonderful. Nothing really tells you where your level is at. And the color chart on the sanitizer test is pretty ambiguous too. I used to have a great test kit that used reagents and gave a very accurate reading for both. It pretty much came out when the Softswim system did, but, in someone's infinite wisdom they decided to no longer continue making the reagents, thereby rendering the rest of the kit useless. Now THAT's progress....

In all fairness to following the biguanide system properly, I have not chemically cleaned the filter since opening the pool. I know I should but just resist doing it. Ultimately, while things would improve for awhile, it's obvious the mold and slime is in the water and the lines, so it would appear it would just temporarily delay the resurgence of the biofilm issue. I've even considered buying an entire extra set of grids....so that I could switch off without the need for taking the pool out of service for a day or so while the grids are being soaked in the cleaning fluid. You start to look at...just how far do I want to go with this to try and continue limping along? Now, IF the Ahhsome turns out to be the miracle cure, then I'm content to stay on biguanide. It should be here in a few days. I remain cautiously optimistic so as to not be too disappointed if it doesn't work. What concerns me is WHY I can't seem to get this stuff completely off the walls. And yet, unlike in previous years, when I brush I don't SEE anything, or very little. In the past, when brushing obvious WWM, rather large pieces of it drift off from the walls or floor. Such has not been the case, making things even MORE frustrating...somewhat akin to fighting the unseen enemy (with the exception of the cloudy water and short filter cycles). It makes me wonder if the organisms have developed some sort of resistance to the aqua finesse tablets that makes it much harder to remove from the plaster surfaces. I DO know it's all starting to feel like trying to brainstorm one's way through a problem that has no true solution.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, here's the deal - doing a conversion now, in the middle of the swim season, would probably be about as fun as being buried up to your neck and having honey and fire ants poured on your head....in fact, I think I'd prefer the fire ants....

That said, is it possible to drain your pool? Not now, mind you, just what would it take to drain your pool or drain some of your pool? Do you have a high water table that would making draining potentially dangerous (popping your pool out of the ground, etc., etc).

So here's what I'm thinking as two options -

1. You tough it out for the rest of the season with Baquacil and then close your pool. Do NOT add any chemicals at closing, just close the pool (whatever that looks like for you). Then, when you open the pool in the spring, you'll have a giant green swamp to deal with and no Baquacil sanitizer in the water. Unfortunately, the CDX will be there and that's going to cause a huge problem so you'll likely need to do a partial drain of the green swamp before converting it.

2. You drain the pool now and power wash it (no need to acid wash the surface). Then refill and still do the conversion although it should be much easier.

Matt...why is the CDX such a problem with the conversion process? I truly resist draining the pool since I just had it refilled 3 years ago. Why would doing a conversion in mid-season cause such a 'fire-ant' type of scenario in terms of difficulty? I know absolutely nothing about the conversion process other than the small research I've done on it here and from reading a few posts of people who have been through it, but I seem to recall some people here telling me to NOT wait until the following season? I like option 1 much better. I have opened to a green swamp more often than not anyway over the past 28 years. Although opening last year, if memory serves, was amazing. It was practically clear (blue...not green). The previous year was clear...but green. Thus far I'm not encouraged about converting. I didn't anticipate that it's such a major endeavor nor that it would entail any level of drainage.

Just been reading some of these conversion stories. I'm not sure I have the fortitude to accomplish this. 20-50 gallons of bleach needed for a pool around my size? You gotta be kidding me...this process sounds like alot of work. I think I'd really need to personally speak to someone who has converted a CDX/biguanide pool and get some thoughts on it.

Matt...why is the CDX such a problem with the conversion process? I truly resist draining the pool since I just had it refilled 3 years ago. Why would doing a conversion in mid-season cause such a 'fire-ant' type of scenario in terms of difficulty? I know absolutely nothing about the conversion process other than the small research I've done on it here and from reading a few posts of people who have been through it, but I seem to recall some people here telling me to NOT wait until the following season? I like option 1 much better. I have opened to a green swamp more often than not anyway over the past 28 years. Although opening last year, if memory serves, was amazing. It was practically clear (blue...not green). The previous year was clear...but green. Thus far I'm not encouraged about converting. I didn't anticipate that it's such a major endeavor nor that it would entail any level of drainage.

Just been reading some of these conversion stories. I'm not sure I have the fortitude to accomplish this. 20-50 gallons of bleach needed for a pool around my size? You gotta be kidding me...this process sounds like alot of work. I think I'd really need to personally speak to someone who has converted a CDX/biguanide pool and get some thoughts on it.

CDX is the trade name for an additive that mostly contains a chemical called dimethylhydantoin (DMH). DMH is often used in bromine hot tubs as it helps, in a very ineffective way, to stabilize active bromine levels. DMH also stabilizes peroxide levels which is why it is used in the Baquacil system - it helps to moderate the fluctuations in Baquacil oxidizer levels. The problem with CDX is that the DMH interferes with chlorine's ability to oxidize the biquanide sanitizer making the conversion process last A LOT longer than it should.

In a standard baqucil pool with no CDX, the conversion of baquacil by chlorine is basically nothing more than chlorine oxidizing the biguanide polymer (creating some very interesting water colors). This oxidation process produces many different chemical intermediates that turn into a goopy polymer residue that we often refer to as baqua-goop. The goop can be skimmed off the top of the pool and anything that settles to the bottom can be vacuumed up and sent to the filter. As you might imagine, this makes a mess of standard sand filter and, at the end of the conversion process, requires a sand change because there's no effective way of washing the sand clean of all the residual baquacil. Since sand is cheap, the one-time replacement is a minimal price to pay for an easier pool to take care of long-term.

Yes, the conversion process can require as much as 50 gallons of bleach because the oxidation process consumes a lot of chlorine. When biguanide levels are low, as they often are in spring time, the chlorine demand is a lot lower since there is less biguanide to convert. If one tries to convert a pool mid-season when the sanitizer levels are at their recommended concentration, the conversion process requires a lot more chlorine. This is why conversions are best done at the beginning of the season.

The reason why this process can be painful is because the first few days literally require you to be pool-side baby-sitting your pool. The initial doses of chlorine bleach will all be consumed after the first few minutes of pouring it in. Because the free chlorine levels need to reach 15ppm, the initial conversion requires adding chlorine, allowing it to circulate and then measuring and dosing to try to achieve 15ppm. It can take 24 hours or more before the pool will start to hold any measurable level of chlorine. During that time, the filter will begin to load up with baqua-goop and the pressure will spike. This will then require backwashing to restore pressure and flow. In many cases, I typically advise people to put their filters into recirculate mode for several days and to manually scoop out the degraded polymer as that is more effective than loading up a filter. Then, when they're just dealing with water cloudiness, put the filter back into service and use that to help clear the microscopic particulates.

CDX, of course, makes the above process even longer. So, in some respects, it is just easier to drain the pool and get rid of most of the CDX that way and then do a quicker conversion as you'll only be dealing with the little residual water in the plumbing system that has baquacil in it. In you case, given all of the chemicals you have added to your pool to try to solve your water mold issues, I really think draining is the best option. Yes, draining a pool is a huge hassle and requires careful planning to do it right (as well as the expense of paying for water), but it would make converting YOUR pool much easier.

As always, it's up to you. I really don't you'll enjoy trying to convert your pool now that it is mid season....I certainly would not want to do it.

Option #3 would be to tough it out for the rest of the season, close the pool with no chemical additions and then drain the pool upon opening in the spring and convert then. By draining and refilling in the spring, you'll make both the green swamp and residual CDX levels much easier to deal with.

I think you should do a bit of soul searching, and reflect on how much time and money you have put into a barely swimmable pool, with no apparent end in sight. While the conversion is a lot of time up front, once it is complete you'll be enjoying that pool more often than not.

I'll give you a lot of credit for your perseverance, but sometimes you need to know 'when to fold them'.

Questions about if I convert...1) WILL the chlorine take care of the mold and slime that is already attached to the plaster (and seemingly very resistant to brushing). Also, 2) how long during (or after) the conversion process before you can swim in the pool again?...-

1. if it does, i think it would take a very long time. I think the problem is related to biofilm, as mentioned in the ahh-some material. As i said before, i used Line clean when i encountered it. I see that you did order some ahh-some. hope that works for you. that would make the decision to wait until spring for conversion a lot easier.
2. i think it was about 2 wks from start to swim when i did my conversion in the spring with out draining. as luck would have it, my sanitizer level remained at 30 even though i didnt add any at closing. thanks a lot cdx....

I'd say fifty jugs of bleach is a lot cheaper than what you've been spending in Bacqua products.

Take a couple days off work and commit to it. You won't be sorry once your pool is clean and sanitary. It sounds like it hasn't been for a long time.

Maddie :flower:

So let me see if I have this right....with the TFP method the only thing that needs to be added to the pool (barring unusual circumstances I suppose) is bleach or some other liquid (or dry) chlorine, muriatic acid to lower pH (I still like dry acid better), and borax to increase pH. Is that it? So no algicide needed with the TFP method? What is used to "burnout" the pool? Back in the day, I used to buy bags of stuff from the pool store called "burnout".....

Anthony,

I've had the same successs. I started taking care of my pool Oct 1015. All I've done is brush, add Bleach, trichlor, MA, and baking soda. I used trichlor for a while to raise the CYA level so I never had to add any stabilizer. I keep the CYA on the low side (40-50 ppm) so I can use trichlor tablets when I travel. We have a very challenging environment with Florida weather. High humidity, torrential rains and windy conditions are perfect for development of many problems. Worst problem I've had is invasion of worms after torrential rains. They die within minutes and get picked up by the suction cleaner. Just ugly in the mornings after.

Slime mold spores are prevalent in most soil. They are actually single cell organisms that usually thrive on bacteria and protozoan populations in soil and die off when their food supply is depleted. Makes me wonder what they are eating in your pool... I looked at multiple systems to sanitize my pool and ended up deciding that chlorine via tfp method was best combination of effective and practical for me at a reasonable cost. I highly recommend it now after almost 2 years of success. Sounds like you'd want to start with a thorough SLAM after you complete the necessary conversion!

I hope this helps.

Chris

Last edited:
Thanks for the many replies. I really appreciate all the time taken to provide such detailed info. I'll see what happens with the Ahhsome and then make some decisions depending on how that goes.

- - - Updated - - -

1. if it does, i think it would take a very long time. I think the problem is related to biofilm, as mentioned in the ahh-some material. As i said before, i used Line clean when i encountered it. I see that you did order some ahh-some. hope that works for you. that would make the decision to wait until spring for conversion a lot easier.
2. i think it was about 2 wks from start to swim when i did my conversion in the spring with out draining. as luck would have it, my sanitizer level remained at 30 even though i didnt add any at closing. thanks a lot cdx....

Then again....if the Ahhsome truly DOES work - and not just on a short-term basis, I don't believe I'd feel the need to convert.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.