Is ongoing use of sequestering agent recommended?

Sep 21, 2018
Folsom, CA
We just filled our newly plastered, remodeled pool September 08th and were instructed to add 2 gallons of sequestering agent (20,000 gal) when the pool filled. The pool builder recommends adding 6-8 oz per 10,000 gal on a weekly basis if you are unable to perform a test.

Our pool water is balanced and clear with no plaster dust visible. Do you recommend adding the sequestering agent as recommended by the builder?

How do you test for it? I have a Taylor K-2005 test kit and Leslie's test shows no metals present.

Welcome to the forum:wave:

Not trusting Leslie's for ANY testing whatsoever, I would suggest you get an iron test (DIY) for your pool water. Do you fill from a well? If not you probably have no problem with iron and subsequently no need for sequestrant

Jim,

Welcome to TFP.. A great place to find the answers to all of your pool maintenance questions, no matter what Prison you are stuck in.... :shark:

Did the plaster company use "Startup-Tec??? If so that helps to prevent plaster dust and as far as I know you only need to use it on the initial fill after you plaster.

I have had two pools re-plastered and a new pool installed and in all three cases they used "Startup-Tec"...

If not, what specific chemical did they use?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you! I don't trust Leslie's pool tests either. They are way off from mine and now I'm pretty cofident that my readings are correct. They tested for Copper, Iron and Phosphates...all 0. The pool builder that re-plastered recommends the ongoing use of a sequesting agent is recommended for stain prevention. If you are unable to test for this add 6-8 oz per 10k gallons on a weekly basis.

Since the plaster is still new, the ph seems to drift up every couple days with acid demand at 1. I've been adding about 18 ozs of muriatic acid and it seems to bring it down to 7.4-7.6ph. I assume this will stabilize over the next few months.

I'll try to find an iron test kit. Any recommendations where?

Thank you!

Have your fill water tested for iron. If it doesn't have any, then it's a non-issue and you won't need to worry about it going forward as long as you don't add anything containing iron to your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.