Is my TA too low?

DYeatman

Jan 5, 2021
Melbourne, Florida
Hello all, the Taylor Watergram calculator has my CSI in the right place but I want to double check with you all as my TA is a bit lower than pool math recommends for me. Pool math suggests a TA of 60, I am at 40. I have found that when my TA is a bit lower, my PH pretty much stays put at 7.6- when I have it at 60 I have to add a splash of muriatic acid every day to bring it down. Is the goal to keep your TA at a level that stabilizes PH? Or should I follow pool math and bring it up to 60 for a better CSI? Current levels: TA-40, PH-7.6, CH- 380, FC-6, CYA- 45. Thanks!

If your pH will stay steady at a TA of 40, so be it. Leave it.

CSI greater than -0.3 is fine. The Taylor thing does not give you CSI -- it gives you LSI - an old method tied to steam boilers. Use PoolMath for CSI.

I had been using the Taylor watergram for a long time until I realized from reading here that you need to also account for CYA and salt. I have both the Poolmath app and an Orenda LSI calculator that allows you to account for these additional parameters, and they both give very close to the same answers. Make sure you are plugging in CYA and salt along with temperature because it makes a difference. If you have a salt pool, chances are you are more negative than you'd like to be with the other parameters you report.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.