Is my pool shifting?

Jul 25, 2017
alabama
My gunnite pool is under a year old. I have noticed over time when I clean the skimmer buckets the sidewall seems to be protruding. Well today was really noticeable as now the skimmer basket almost gets stuck when pulling it out. Also I noticed the water is almost one inch deeper on the left skimmer compared to the right skimmer. Any thoughts? The left skimmer is 3 inches to the top where as the right skimmer is almost 4 inches to the top.

left skimmer.jpg right skimmer.jpg

Something that immediately stands out is that big uneven gap between the skimmer body
and the surface ring. That doesn't look correct at all. Was it always this way?
You have 2 skimmers and they are both like this?

I would get the pool builder notified asap, you might have a warranty claim to make.

I had a gut feeling from the start that was wrong. Yes they did always stick out but not near as much as they are now. I feel like I have bought nothing but a money pit I have had nothing but problems. I will call him. So far my lights went out and his reply was its not his problem.

So even more frustrated. His response was it did not move its always been a little off centered. But then why does the basket barely come out anymore? And the water is really off on each side? Should I just say ok or do something else?

What does the paperwork say for the warranty of the pool shell?

You might have to file a lawsuit if he doesn't honor the warranty on the shell..if there is one.

Others will likely chime in soon to give advice.

It just seems completely wrong that your skimmers have a gap between the top edge and
the surface ring that holds the lid and are shifted over....very sloppy workmanship.

I would have held off on payment the moment I saw that.
In the long run, you "might" be ok as long as the shell doesn't shift anymore, but
saying the basket is now more difficult to get out is very troubling. It could eventually
shift more and break the skimmers or plumbing.

If he won't talk to you, maybe search for reputable pool installers/repair places
and see if they can give you a free assessment.

- - - Updated - - -

Your pool has always been filled full since the install correct? You never drained it empty?
That can cause shifting and damage too.

Myapaws!

Welcome to TFP and sorry about the mess here. If you could, please add your signature.

First and foremost, you have to look at drainage and possible soil erosion where you are having issues. If the pool is level and you are losing soil, this could be the issue. The only way to tell is have an engineer/land surveyor out there. The total cost may be around $250 is to hire a land surveyor and take spot elevations of the pool and its concrete. You also want to refer back to your original engineering plans to determine how the pool was built compared to the proposed plan. If you had an "As Built Survey" produced at the end, you have something to compare from the beginning and ending.

If for some reason, you have to file a lawsuit, then the engineer may have to put together a whole engineer plan with elevations everywhere as evidence and discovery.

Unless for some strange reason your township did not require any of this and the PB just built the pool. I know in NY, Staten Island that engineering plans and survey's were not needed for a pool. But, then again, I do not live there. Please keep us posted!

Thank you for the reply. I wish wish wish I would have said something when they built it and I had seen they were off then. Being my first pool i never new anything. We have filled it from plaster and the only time we drained some of it was our first closing last winter. But that was just a little below the jets.

He replied saying only way that skimmer could ever move was if the deck came loose and away from the house (the decking goes all the way up to the house). Do you think this true because I checked and the decking looks fine.

Myapaws!

Welcome to TFP and sorry about the mess here. If you could, please add your signature.

First and foremost, you have to look at drainage and possible soil erosion where you are having issues. If the pool is level and you are losing soil, this could be the issue. The only way to tell is have an engineer/land surveyor out there. The total cost may be around $250 is to hire a land surveyor and take spot elevations of the pool and its concrete. You also want to refer back to your original engineering plans to determine how the pool was built compared to the proposed plan. If you had an "As Built Survey" produced at the end, you have something to compare from the beginning and ending.

If for some reason, you have to file a lawsuit, then the engineer may have to put together a whole engineer plan with elevations everywhere as evidence and discovery.

Unless for some strange reason your township did not require any of this and the PB just built the pool. I know in NY, Staten Island that engineering plans and survey's were not needed for a pool. But, then again, I do not live there. Please keep us posted!

Thank you! I will add my signature. I do not recall any of that being needed. All i had to produce was my original land survey that came with the house so they could see where my boundary lines were. Hopefully he comes out and looks as I asked him too.

He replied saying only way that skimmer could ever move was if the deck came loose and away from the house (the decking goes all the way up to the house). Do you think this true because I checked and the decking looks fine.

Please tell us about your pool. The skimmers in my pool are hooked up to the steel walls (liner pool). So, in essence the walls would have to shift, not the concrete. But if the walls shifted, maybe the concrete that sits on the walls would shift. It would take a lot of soil erosion to shift my concrete, therefore shifting the skimmers.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.