Is my filter done?

Stag77

Jul 14, 2015
West islip, NY
What are the sure signs that your filter is shot?

Pressure doesn't seem to be high after adding DE, shocking, vacuuming.
When vacuuming when really dirty the debris comes back through jets
Pool is bright blue and can see the bottom in the shallow and sides in the deep, but still stays milky
Filter has been running on highest speed for weeks
The grids don't show signs of rips, same filter has worked last 5 years (since i have been owner). I have had some issues before, so it could be that the filter isn't at its best

But how do I know if it is time to replace?

What are the sure signs that your filter is shot?

Pressure doesn't seem to be high after adding DE, shocking, vacuuming.
When vacuuming when really dirty the debris comes back through jets
Pool is bright blue and can see the bottom in the shallow and sides in the deep, but still stays milky
Filter has been running on highest speed for weeks
The grids don't show signs of rips, same filter has worked last 5 years (since i have been owner). I have had some issues before, so it could be that the filter isn't at its best

But how do I know if it is time to replace?

When is the last time you did a complete detergent soak/muratic acid wash of the grids? The grids themselves could be clogged. Debris blowing through usually means there's a tear somewhere...

Anyway, complete instructions for cleaning a DE Filter are in pool school. I'd start there before replacing them. Re-inspect after cleaning for any possible tears.

No, your filter is not kaput. I have had a DE for over 20 years. It sounds like the Bump Rod. This connects your handle to the diaphragm. It has 2 small O rings that will degrade over time.
What clued me in is the Milky/cloudy water and debris blowing out when vacuuming. DE filters are the most efficient filters. This happens when the O rings fail or the rod seizes due to corrosion. Or both. When mine fails it does exactly what you are describing. I replaced mine about 2 years ago so I have some time.
When the O rings fail it will allow DE powder/debris to bypass the filtering process. Easy fix and I am sure you can find a video on YouTube to step you through the process.
Buy the complete replacement kit from a pool supply or through the manufacturer of your DE filter.
I have a Hayward Perflex and have to do this about every 4-5 years.
Cost is about 20 bucks for the kit. It will take about 1-2 hours but is very easy. Who ever sells your filter may do it for you for a "small" fee. If you go that route then take the entire filter to them.

No, your filter is not kaput. I have had a DE for over 20 years. It sounds like the Bump Rod. This connects your handle to the diaphragm. It has 2 small O rings that will degrade over time.
What clued me in is the Milky/cloudy water and debris blowing out when vacuuming. DE filters are the most efficient filters. This happens when the O rings fail or the rod seizes due to corrosion. Or both. When mine fails it does exactly what you are describing. I replaced mine about 2 years ago so I have some time.
When the O rings fail it will allow DE powder/debris to bypass the filtering process. Easy fix and I am sure you can find a video on YouTube to step you through the process.
Buy the complete replacement kit from a pool supply or through the manufacturer of your DE filter.
I have a Hayward Perflex and have to do this about every 4-5 years.
Cost is about 20 bucks for the kit. It will take about 1-2 hours but is very easy. Who ever sells your filter may do it for you for a "small" fee. If you go that route then take the entire filter to them.

This has me very optimistic. Thanks MrGreg

One other thing I forgot. You are not reading a high pressure because the water is bypassing the filter through the failed O rings. That is also why you are blowing debris into the pool. I bet if you clean your DE filter, very little DE powder will come out. It's all in the pool.....
It could be the "grids" also,,but my money is on the O rings. (With all due respect to the others that commented)>

- - - Updated - - -

If you need detailed instructions I would be happy to help.

I just dumped my Jacuzzi 48 foot DE filter. If you have an earthworks filter, replacement parts are super expensive. The gasket on those are also not serviceable. you have to replace the entire mechanism.

I did hear Jacuzzi started selling pool filters again. maybe the price has gone down.

So, back to my comment... LOL

You have a grid filter. Nothing wrong with ordering the replacement o-rings, since only $15. It could very well be an issue but.... when you described the clarity of water, you are describing clogged filter grids that simply no longer filter properly (this of course assumes that your chem levels are where they should be, and why Dave/Duraleigh asked for a full set of test results.) Most often on this forum 90% of cloudiness issues are related to lack of chlorine. I specifically addressed your grids for your comments about the cloudiness factor and that you stated you can see stuff blowing through the return.

As pointed out, Mr. Greg has a Perflex DE filter and the design is much different and I know exactly the o-rings he is describing because I had the unpleasant task of disassembling the internals of that filter to replace the o-rings and a torn gasket. Not fun and a PITA to do. But your filter is grid, and when the grids get clogged they won't filter right and there is a haziness/cloudiness to the water you don't see when DE filters are working correctly. (An uncleared algae bloom will also clog the grids-see Duraleigh's question above). I would follow the instructions for a deep cleaning of the DE grids using dishwasher powder, re-inspect for tears after you give a diluted acid soak, and in the meantime, post a full set of test results. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OOOPs. Didn't see that your filter was a different make. Sorry. Best of luck to you. Mine is easy to fix but it appears your filter may be a bit more complicated...... But, at least if you get a Perflex you'll know how to repair it. lol.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.