Is my Dolphin S200 being too aggressive on my pool coating?

RrnR

Feb 26, 2017
Auckland, New Zealand
After years of putting up with my Zodiac G3's spotty coverage and getting stuck on the stairs (where it wore through the coating in the spot it used to get stuck on), I bought a Dolphin S200. First impressions are pretty favourable apart from one issue: After a cleaning cycle, the filter basket contains what can only be bits of the marblesheen coating. Not much - less than a teaspoon maybe - and it consists of very fine particles, looking a bit like blue sand.

Need I be concerned? The coating age is unknown, as the pool was there when we bought the place, but probably getting on for 15-20 years max. The coating otherwise seems in excellent condition. I will get the seller's take on this today (I think Dolphin might have other alternatives for the brushes), but I'm interested in consumer feedback.

Pool: 70,000 l, approx 9m x 4m, fresh water, MarbleSheen surface, tiled waterline
Sanitiser: liquid chlorine
Heating: heat pump but I never use it (prohibitive power costs in NZ), pool heats to 28-30C through sunlight and bubble-wrap blanket
Cleaner: Dolphin S200

Welcome to the forum!

I think what you are seeing is just fine dirt and sand that drops in the pool continuously. With a suction cleaner, that ends up in the filter where you don't see it until it is cleaned out.

Welcome to TFP!

Agreed with Mark. And I also think you are getting a better cleaning than you were getting with the old cleaner and once it gets caught up you won't see so much. I experienced the same thing when I got my Doheny's Discovery, same as S200.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.