Is my chemistry ok before I add borates?

nu2pools

Silver Supporter
Jul 28, 2015
Naperville/Illinois
I wanted to add borates to my vinyl pool couple years ago and never did. Well, now I'm ready to do it by bringing down the TA with MA and aerating water to increase the pH. Here are the readings with TFT 100 kit,

FC 6.0
CC 0.0
pH 7.2
TA 60
CYA 50
CH 100

I have about 1/3 gallon of MA left, can I use it up and lower the TA further by 6- 8 points (after letting the pH rise to 7.5 or so) or these are good numbers and don't worry about lowering TA any further? Also, I don't need to address the CH but I do have some Calcium chloride, should I add some to the pool and bring up CH to 200 level? I will add granular boric acid after pH has risen to 7.5. Please let me know what do you think about my plan.

26.5K IG vinyl pool, Hayward sand filter, 1 HP pump, TFT 100 kit, stirrer

Nah. You’ll still be able to lower TA in the future, that’s not an issue. As for the CH, with a vinyl liner it’s not a huge deal. You can adjust that whenever it’s convenient.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.