Is mustard algae a myth?

hwy17

Mar 17, 2021
Northern California
I see a lot of people on other pool forums jump to the conclusion that they have mustard algae for any number of different symptoms that all sound like manifestations of regular green algae to me; "clouds up when brushed" "grows on bottom not in the water" "hard to treat" "dark / brown colored"

I have a tough time convincing anyone that regular green algae takes many forms and in all likelihood, it's just that. Regular green algae also being quite hard to treat if the treatment regimen is ineffective or flawed.

1. Is mustard algae actually understood to be a wholly different form of green algae that is positively identifiable? Is there any consensus on how it is identified?

2. Is mustard algae actually just a different manifestation on the spectrum of green algae and it's actually me that's wrong to argue that it's not mustard algae because green algae is mustard algae when it manifests that way?

There are several algaes which are some kind of cousins and black algae which actually isn't an algae at all. Mustard algae happens to be particularly hard to irradicate but is also the least common.

It's the easy/lazy answer to blame Mustard algae as the excuse why folks can't beat regular old algae. Theirs must be the WORST. A new alien species of algae that's 10X stronger.........

You are correct. The term MA is often abused by owners who think their situation is different and that the algae they are experiencing is somehow unique. Below is the link to our TFP MA page.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.