Is Liquid Chlorine a viable option with extreme heat?

I am going to go off script here just a bit. I am sure someone will set me straight if I am out of bounds. I do not check my chlorine every day. There I said it. I did for a while and established what my pool consumes on a daily basis. I then take that number (lets say 2.5ppm per day) and just add that much per day. I do a full work up of tests on Saturdays. I will run an occasional powder chlorine test during the week once just to see how things look. If the weather is very cloudy or rain then I take a .5 ppm off. When it gets hot it moves up to a full 3 ppm per day. So far so good and the water is beautiful. My neighbor came over the other day to borrow some pucks - he knew I had a pool and he wouldn't be able to get to the pool store for a couple of days. The look on his face when I told him how I cared for my pool was priceless. Then he walked out back and looked at the water. "I have never seen my pool with water that clear" - was his statement. I think we have a convert.
The higher you raise the FC (at a given CYA), the more ppm of FC you will lose every day. In effect, you are using more bleach than you would have to if your kept the FC in the target range and added daily. As long as you are OK with using more bleach, and keep the FC above the minimum for your CYA at all times, what you are doing is fine.

I am going to go off script here just a bit. I am sure someone will set me straight if I am out of bounds. I do not check my chlorine every day. There I said it. I did for a while and established what my pool consumes on a daily basis. I then take that number (lets say 2.5ppm per day) and just add that much per day. I do a full work up of tests on Saturdays. I will run an occasional powder chlorine test during the week once just to see how things look. If the weather is very cloudy or rain then I take a .5 ppm off. When it gets hot it moves up to a full 3 ppm per day. So far so good and the water is beautiful. My neighbor came over the other day to borrow some pucks - he knew I had a pool and he wouldn't be able to get to the pool store for a couple of days. The look on his face when I told him how I cared for my pool was priceless. Then he walked out back and looked at the water. "I have never seen my pool with water that clear" - was his statement. I think we have a convert.

Nice

Yeah I am staying above the minimum so no worries there. I still add everyday. I just don't test like crazy. It would different if I had a drop test that would measure chl above 5. At my CYA my chlorine zone is (4 - 8). Since the drop test only goes to 5 it doesn't do me a whole lot of good. I do use to drop test from time to time just to see if I moved lower than 5. This is usually when I am gone and others in the house didn't add like they should.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.