Is Leslie's salt cell testing any better than their water testing?

Apr 27, 2013
Wichita, KS
I have a Goldline T15 cell and Aquarite G1 control that is at least 8 years old. I think it was starting to fail at the end of last season, but had other concerns that overrode the pool at that time, so maintained the pool with bleach- being it was so late in the season.
I'd like to have the cell tested before I install it, and rember Leslie's does test them. Anybody had theirs tested there? If so, were they right or wrong, and "pool stored" you for a replacement.

Thanks for any feedback.

T,

I normally would not go into a Leslie's pool store to just use their bathroom, but in this case I might... :mrgreen:

I say this because, cells either work or they don't... Leslie's is not going to be able to tell you how much life the cell has left, but they should be able to tell you if the cell generates chlorine or not..

If your cell is 8 years old, I would think it is pretty close to death but you never know until you try.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yes, Leslie's is fine for this test as it either passes or fails. You can also hook it up on your system and check the diagnostic numbers to see if it is working. If Leslie's is close by and the cell is not installed yet, get it tested there for your peace of mind. Like Jim said though, they will not be able to tell you how much life is left.

To estimate the performance of the Aquarite cell, divide the instant salinity reading by the actual salinity.

If the performance is less than 75%, the cell is failing and it's time to replace it.

You need to be sure about the actual salinity.

What is the actual salinity?

What are the diagnostic readings?

Check the instant salinity reading and then cycle power to reverse polarity and recheck the instant salinity reading.

The numbers should be about the same +/- 200 ppm.

I took the cell to Leslie's yesterday and it tested good, so I'll see if it makes it through the season.

James W- I can't give you any numbers because I just got done filling the pool after a complete drain for repainting. I'm in the process of balancing the water now, then have to add around 400 pounds of salt. I have a Taylor 1766 salt test kit that I use. Thanks for the info on instant/actual readings. That kind of stuff is good to know.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.