Is it worth it to install new Sub Panel for Pool Equipment?

Apr 11, 2017
Columbus, OH
I am having an electrician come out to upgrade the connection for my pool pump from 115v to 230v so I can install a new VSP pump that runs only on 230v. The electrician is also making some other upgrades to some landscape lighting wiring, GFCI for the pool lights, and relocating some outdoor toggle switches that control the pump and booster.

Currently, all of the breakers for my pool equipment and outdoor lighting are on the main breaker panel in my basement. I'm thinking it would be great to centralize all of these in one 60amp sub panel.

Do you think now would be a good time to install a new Sub Panel installed on the brick wall of my house right next to where all of my pool equipment lives?

For those of you that do have a sub panel dedicated to pool equipment and outdoor lighting, is there a great convenience in that setup? Let's ignore cost for the moment and only comment on convenience.

Will a sub panel located on an exterior wall of the house survive the elements of our Central Ohio weather? This would apply mostly to the heavy rains we get in the spring.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

-ms

I thought just about everyone had a sub-panel by the equipment. I think having the panel is more common than not. So yes, I would say it is more convenient to have all of your pool-related electrical in one box.

JamesW: I do plan on putting in an automation system such as Omni Logic, but not this year. Are you suggesting I increase the amperage of the sub panel to allow for additional upgrades, such as automation and a salt water system?

PoolGate: Good to hear that adding a sub panel is the normal way to go!

ms,

Here is a picture of my EasyTouch automation system.. I know it is not the specific brand that you are looking to install, but it will give you a basic idea how they are put together...

Mine has all the electronics at the top, then a series of control relays and then a "Load center" where all your circuit breakers are located. Mine is only set up for 30 amps, but can be wired for 125 amps..

dbtgallery.php

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

A sub panel is definitely a cleaner and more convenient way to do the wiring for the pool equipment. An outdoor panel will last for many many years even in the cold winters where you are.

If you think you will go with automation the time to do the panel is now. Otherwise you will just end up paying to redo most of the work you are paying to have done now.

60 amp service is plenty of power for the vast majority of pool especially if you are using a VS pump.

The only reason to consider going to a 100 amp supply is if you are going to install a large heat pump.

Don't confuse the panel capacity rating with the actual supply amperage of the circuit to the pool. What the panel says it is rated for is the maximum it can be hooked up to but a 60 amp panel could easily be hooked up to a 30 amp supply and work just fine.

Here is a link to a ProLogic panel

This is all great information, thanks everyone!

It certainly does make the most sense to take the plunge now with the automation while I'm already having all of the electrical work done. Honestly, I wasn't even aware (still have a lot to learn) that the OmniLogic and other automation systems had a built in sub panel.

The main thing working against me is time. Ideally I'd like to open the pool a week before Memorial Day, but it may be difficult to hire a good electrician, find the automation system that works, scheduling the work, etc. And just for good measure, I've really wanted to convert from chlorine to saltwater pool, so the best time to do that may be now as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
MS - don't hurry at all..your risk reward will not favor you in the yrs to come...you're investing in expensive equipment and once installed [automation], you are stuck w it if you do not like it. [or you love it bc you made an informed and well-educated decision.

MS, what is the exact pump model of the VSP you are considering? There are good ones and bad ones...if you have no automation and no VSP's now, you must make an informed and correct decision on the type of equipment and all your options. this is so you don't spend extra funds requiring future changes that you could have done now...

Finally, pls don't let my wife and daughters see this sentence: "Let's ignore cost for the moment and only comment on convenience." :(

tstex - I ended up getting a Hayward TriStar SP3202VSP. I'm not able to install it just yet, as I only have 115v service to my current single-speed pump, and the new pump requires 230v. And I'm starting to realize that patience is the key right now. I've decided that even if I have to wait a few months to install the new VSP, that is ok. In the long run, I'll be better off getting a good plan in place and having everything worked on at the same time. That means installing a OmniLogic or ProLogic, conversion from chlorine to salt, new electrical work, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.