Central NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
With our kids home under stay-at-home orders indefinitely we are thinking of bumping up our pool opening. We’re using a new company this year, and they said they could come out as early as March 30th. We’re in central NJ (08512 zip), and tonight’s low is 33. Will it be safe to open the pool next week? We have a VS pump, so I was thinking we’d just run it on low all day so the water would be moving, just in case. FWIW we don’t cover the pool over winter so usually open mid-April anyway (were slated for April 11th initially).

You should not have a problem with freezing. Read...

Your ET system freeze protection should turn on the pump should the air temp get near freezing.

I’m opening today in Ohio. I say go ahead and OPEN IT!! It’ll give you something to do plus you won’t have to worry about a green swamp! Especially with these unseasonably warm temperatures!
Oh and I don’t use a winter cover either. Huge benefit since I could scoop leaves and other nasty stuff sporadically throughout the winter. Water is crystal clear, chemicals balanced, should be an easy opening! Just run your pump 24 hours on days with freezing temperatures if you don’t have freeze protection on your pump. Mine doesn’t so I just run it 24 hours if there is a night or two of freezing temps. Good luck!

If you plan on running the heater then for sure open. But the water on its own without you running the heater is going to be way too cold to swim. Keep an eye on water temp, if you get upper 50s you need to open regardless or you risk an algae mess. Your heater is the same size as mine and I calculated that it costs me @ $5/hour to run. That will give me 1-2 degrees/hour temperature rise.

If you plan on running the heater then for sure open. But the water on its own without you running the heater is going to be way too cold to swim. Keep an eye on water temp, if you get upper 50s you need to open regardless or you risk an algae mess. Your heater is the same size as mine and I calculated that it costs me @ $5/hour to run. That will give me 1-2 degrees/hour temperature rise.

We have an attached spa, so in the shoulder-seasons usually just heat that in 10-15 min to let the kids play around (and relax in after they go to bed!) One year our pool companay accidentally left the heater on after checking everything worked during opening. The second morning I woke to steam coming off the main pool - that was an expensive gas bill o_O

In reference to water temperature, is it the daily high or the daily low? Is it the surface temperature or six inches down into the water? My water temperature is greatly fluctuating with this spring Ohio weather.

In reference to water temperature, is it the daily high or the daily low? Is it the surface temperature or six inches down into the water? My water temperature is greatly fluctuating with this spring Ohio weather.

I mix up my water before testing. I just run the leaf rake around for a couple minutes. But if you are getting close, I'd go ahead and open. Or, at least make sure you have chlorine circulated.

Reactions: JW1
I want to open this weekend, but still have ice on the winter cover and an unknown sized iceberg in the pool. Next to no freezing temps predicted for a week, so maybe next weekend. I'll happily pay to run the pump and not look at the winter cover!

Scheduled to open this Friday.

How much do you pay for your opening? Opening is super simple there is really no reason to have it done. Take off the top, unplug the skimmers and returns, put in the drain plugs, set valves properly and away you go!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Opening is super simple there is really no reason to have it done. Take off the top, unplug the skimmers and returns, put in the drain plugs, set valves properly and away you go!
I could not agree more. I’m not sure about OP, but what I have found with a lot of my friends is that it isn’t the ‘opening’ that worries them. It’s the initial cleaning and balancing. ‘Once they get my #s good I have no problems doing it myself’ they always tell me.

Especially the average people who close early and open late. They already know it’s a swamp for the 12th time in a row and the pool people ‘might as well take the cover off if they are here anyway’.

How much do you pay for your opening? Opening is super simple there is really no reason to have it done. Take off the top, unplug the skimmers and returns, put in the drain plugs, set valves properly and away you go!
My PB will only open and close the pools he installs. He will also only close what he opens. $200 to open and $200 to close. This is my first opening. My Pool was installed last October.

the concern i have is, where are you going to get your chlorine from? are you not nervous about going out more than is necessary for critical food?

I believe pool stores are not essential in NJ and thus not open, so where will you get your supplies?

the concern i have is, where are you going to get your chlorine from? are you not nervous about going out more than is necessary for critical food?

I believe pool stores are not essential in NJ and thus not open, so where will you get your supplies?

I received the following from my pool store that is located just across the border in NY...

While some of our typical activities are restricted or reduced, XXX is deemed an essential service and will remain open to ensure your pools and spas remain safe and sanitized!

During this uncertain period, you will still be able to reach our staff by phone at XXXXXXX. Some of our key staff will now be working remotely. We ask that you be patient with us while we adjust, however, all calls and messages will still be answered in a timely fashion.

Our service technicians will continue to provide essential services to maintain sanitization at residences. Your scheduled vacuuming and chemical-balancing visits will continue as normal, and our service teams are still out opening pools for the season. For families that are home from work and/or school, its our hope that this will provide a much-needed source of activity and enjoyment.

Our Retail Showroom will be closed for the time being. However, we are available to arrange curbside pickup for all of your swimming pool needs. Simply give us a call and select our retail department from the automated menu. We have plenty of swimming pool supplies, toys, and chemicals to tide you over.

Lastly, our Construction offices are still taking calls for new projects and renovations. Feel free to call or send a message, and we’d be happy to discuss any backyard transformations you have in mind.

Reactions: Awilli8203
My pool store is skirting the business ban by going out individually while avoiding themselves and the customers. They will deliver supplies and/or treat if need be, from the safety of the yard.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.