Is it safe to use tarp over hard spa cover?

Jul 30, 2017
Utah
I have an outdoor, in ground spa that currently has only a fitted hard cover. With all the leave falling this month, I was thinking of putting a large tarp over it and weighing it down on the sides to prevent the leaves/pine needles from getting into the water.

Is that safe? I was thinking of buying something like this.

Would the heat from the spa trapped between the cover and the tarp melt something?

Color me confused............if you have the hard cover on the spa how is the stuff getting into the water?

I would be leery of the tarp for the very reasons you state. I THINK (not sure) the motor needs some kind of venting or such.

Maybe a picture of your spa will help someone with a better answer.

Kim:kim:

Color me confused............if you have the hard cover on the spa how is the stuff getting into the water?

I would be leery of the tarp for the very reasons you state. I THINK (not sure) the motor needs some kind of venting or such.

The top of the spa is ground level and the hard cover just rests on top of the spa. Though it covers all the spa, the cover is not tied down to anything. So there are some gaps on the side through which leaves get in.

The pump and heater are 30/40 feet away in a different part of the yard. I would not be covering that in any way.

- - - Updated - - -

If your pump and heater won't be covered shouldn't be an issue just a pain to maintain for a few weeks.
Right, the pump and heater are separate and won't be covered. I do think it will be more work to maintain, but I am hoping with fewer leaves falling in, I don't have to check the water balance as much. We use the spa very infrequently (maybe once a month).

Though I do not see any problems with a tarp, wouldn't it be much easier to just put some weight on the cover to seal the gaps? My hardtop actually has material overhanging the sides so it covers the gaps. I have a cover similar to these:

https://www.spadepot.com/Spa-Covers-C45.aspx
Mine doesn't have the material overhanging on the sides. Perhaps because it was designed to be on the floor.

It is an interesting idea. I didn't think about putting weight on the existing hard cover. Let me try that first. Good to know the tarp would work as a backup.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.