poolpartyofsix

Jul 5, 2021
Raleigh, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
My filter and pump sit about 40’ from the pool and slightly uphill. I lose prime the moment I switch the valve to backwash. Is there an alternative way to backwash?

Pentair Tagelus 100, Pentair VSP
Pump, 2” plumbing, 35k gallon pool - installed this year.

-side note: to prime the pump I have to close one skimmer, and use a pvc pipe in the other skimmer filled with hose water to ‘level out’ the pool water from the waterline to the pump. At the moment I turn on the pump I have to remove the pvc pipe. It’s cumbersome but it works.

How much higher is the pump than the pool water?

Is there a check valve or regular valve right in front of the pump suction?

Does the pump lose prime when it is off?

Have you tried switching to backwash with the pump running?

It’s a very gradual slope, might be 3-4’ higher but I haven’t checked with a string level to measure.

The pump does not lose prime when the pump is off.

I lose prime when switching the valve to backwash even if pump is running.

I did not put a check valve in front of the pump. I was afraid of it getting clogged and causing problems, but there is room to add one if that is recommended.

3'-4' is not too bad so it shouldn't be that hard to prime. Given the pump loses prime when switching over to backwash makes me think there might be an air leak in the system. Backwash mode generally has less head loss than filter mode so flow rate goes up, suction goes up and it is more likely that an air leak will happen. The hard part is finding where it might be. Normal suspects are the pump lid gasket and the drain plugs. A little pool lube there might help.

In normal filter mode, is there any air in the pump basket?

I’ll try that now.

I can’t even move the valve handle without losing prime. The moment I push it down to move it, the basket empties.

in normal pump mode, when it’s priming the basket of full of water and as long as the pump is at a higher speed, it’s totally full of water. As it settles in to a lower speed there’s a little bubble of water at the top of the pump basket.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.