Is it ok to block air pipe to spa Venturis?

Megahurtz

Jun 11, 2021
McAllen, Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have a heated spa that uses an air pipe with Venturi returns. When I want to heat the spa the air causes it to take a while, or at least I’m guessing, to heat up. I used to adjust my pump to a lower setting where it wouldn’t draw air, but the heater sometimes stops due to flow. Would it be ok to cap the air intake so that no air is pulled in when heating?

The air getting drawn into the venturis shouldn't cause a long heat time.. what heater do you have? I don't see it in your sig.

I have a heated spa that uses an air pipe with Venturi returns. When I want to heat the spa the air causes it to take a while, or at least I’m guessing, to heat up. I used to adjust my pump to a lower setting where it wouldn’t draw air, but the heater sometimes stops due to flow. Would it be ok to cap the air intake so that no air is pulled in when heating?
Yes, no problem. Its done on portable (above ground) spas all the time.

The air getting drawn into the venturis shouldn't cause a long heat time.. what heater do you have? I don't see it in your sig.
It’s a Coates 11k electric heater. It would normally take about 1hr 15min to reach 90 deg from 73. This was when I was able to get the pump RPMs low enough so air wouldn’t be drawn in. Not able to do that now as the heater will give me a no flow and shut off. This time I just let it run with the air being drawn in and it took almost 2.5hrs to heat up the same start end temp.
Yes, no problem. Its done on portable (above ground) spas all the time.
Thanks 👍. I wasn’t sure if it would cause some type of damage to the pipes since it couldn’t draw air.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.