Is it normal to lose so much chlorine daily?

Stephz520

May 10, 2021
Austin
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I have an above ground pool. I’ve been using pool math and tfp method. Here are todays numbers:
FC .6
TC .2
PH 7.2
TA 80
CYA 30

Yesterday I vacuumed and scrubbed the walls. There was some algae but The pool is looking very clear. I scrubbed the ladder and I feel like it’s looking good. I’m using the Taylor k 2006 test kit and more often than I’d like the ro 870 dpd powder doesn’t turn the water pink. I’ve been using Pool essentials chlorinating liquid that’s 10% sodium hypochlorite. Usually adding 3-5 cups per day as suggested by pool math and coming up close to 0 by the next morning. Is this normal? Can I do anything to help the chlorine stay? Thank you!

First you need to do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tonight to see if you have algae. Raise your FC to 5 ppm after the sun sets (test it to ensure of the level after the pool circulates for an hour or so after adding liquid chlorine) then test again in the morning before the sun rises and hits the surface of the pool. If you lose more than 1 ppm FC over night, you need to follow the SLAM Process

Reactions: joe1981al
Thank you for the response. I did not pass the OCL test so I have been slamming. I lost 3ppm of chlorine last night. I keep testing and adding bleach based on calculations from the pool math calculator. It seems like I lose chlorine as soon as I put it in. I just vacuumed and I can see algae in the vacuum cup but my water looks crystal clear. How long does it typically take to finish a slam? I’m wondering if I need to retest after chlorine additions to make sure I get up to 12ppm. Been hanging around 9ppm each time I check.

SLAM can take a few days to several weeks. Depends on how diligent you are at testing and adding liquid chlorine, brushing, vacuuming, etc. Also what type of filter you have for the pool.

I have a cartridge filter. Just got a brand new one and it is pumping real good. I think that how I got into this situation because the filter got nasty real quick.

Silly question, do you leave your pool ladder in the pool when pool is not in use? I used to always take my ladder out so the solar cover would fit better and it would sit for days on end however the stagnate water in the bottom of the ladder was killing my FC. I never take my ladder out of the pool anymore. Just a passing thought.

Also, the joins in the floor to wall in the liner are amazing at keeping/collecting junk. I clean it with a cloth first and then vacuum only during slam.

Fill out your signature with pool, pool equipment (including manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info.
This assists us in helping you without needing to ask for this info each time.

If you are unsure if the FC level gets to 12 after an addition, test FC about 30 minutes after an addition. You should only need to do this one time to reaffirm you are correctly dosing. For the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test you MUST test again after your last add (and after sundown) to know what your starting FC is to correctly perform the OCLT.

Given you are in Austin, AFTER your SLAM is completed, consider raising your CYA to 50. This should slow the FC burn off during the day. Use the FC/CYA Levels and dose to the high end of the target range.

Silly question, do you leave your pool ladder in the pool when pool is not in use? I used to always take my ladder out so the solar cover would fit better and it would sit for days on end however the stagnate water in the bottom of the ladder was killing my FC. I never take my ladder out of the pool anymore. Just a passing thought.

Also, the joins in the floor to wall in the liner are amazing at keeping/collecting junk. I clean it with a cloth first and then vacuum only during slam.
I do leave my ladder in the pool. I took it out a few days ago because I saw algae on it so I bleached it and scrubbed it. It stays in the pool though.

I took my ladder out and saw some algae on it underneath the step. Cleaned it real good but when I flipped it over I saw a rust spot near the top step. Will that cause problems for the water?

I took my ladder out and saw some algae on it underneath the step. Cleaned it real good but when I flipped it over I saw a rust spot near the top step. Will that cause problems for the water?
It shouldn't unless rust is in large quantities. If you want to clean that, just use some sand paper and touch up paint.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.