jokael

Jun 12, 2023
Denmark
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
………First a disclaimer……. Living in the EU, fas-dpd test kits are not available for purchase, so even if I would, I could not do precise testing.
I test with dpd photometer.

I have been slamming the past week or so. The pool is a beautiful ice-blue. Not tfp-clear, but the bottom is visible.
My test this morning said:
TC: 16
FC: 14
Alc: 80
Cya: 30

I know the FC is high, but I’d rather go too high, considering my less-precise dpd-tests.
After brush or vacuum, the water clouds up more, and I can clearly see small, white “dots” in the water.
My guess is, that these are dead algae. Does this sound like a possible cause?
The water is opague white when I backwash after vacuuming.

Does this sound like a possible cause?
It is possible. If it is dead algae, it will take time to filter out. Is your filter pressure increasing regularly to indicate it's capturing material? Have you considered adding a little DE to the filter if available in your area?

It is possible. If it is dead algae, it will take time to filter out. Is your filter pressure increasing regularly to indicate it's capturing material? Have you considered adding a little DE to the filter if available in your area?
It’s increasing a little. Keepung in mind that the filter is not that large - the initial pressure is 0.2 bar/3 psi.
This morning it was at 0.3 bar/4 psi.
I usually backwash after vacuuming if the pressure goes over 5 psi.
I heard a lot about DE. What is it exactly? Maybe it’s called something different here.

Ok, after a bit of googling…… in DK it’s sold as “bug powder” for getting rid of ants on patios - or even applying to the dog’s fur to get rid of ticks.
Our local supermarket sells it under the name “Insecto”!labeled “for crawling insects”. It consists of very fine chalk.
Does this sound like the correct product?

Our local supermarket sells it under the name “Insecto”!labeled “for crawling insects”. It consists of very fine chalk.
Does this sound like the correct product?
I've heard of different "grades" of DE (i.e. food grade, pools, etc), but I've not heard of DE for pet or insect control. For that question, I'd like to ask @Donldson if he has heard of these variances.

I've heard of different "grades" of DE (i.e. food grade, pools, etc), but I've not heard of DE for pet or insect control. For that question, I'd like to ask @Donldson if he has heard of these variances.
I translated the description on the web page here:

100% natural Diatomaceous earth (food quality) is an effective and non-toxic powder for drying out e.g. fleas and blood mites
Diatomaceous earth is a natural powder with a high silicon content.
The fine particles in diatomaceous earth stick to the surface of fleas and other insects. Here they act as sandpaper, grinding holes in the insects' outer wax layer. Without the wax protection, the insects cannot retain liquid, and they therefore dry out.
Instructions for use:
Distribute a good handful in the cage, cave etc. Can also be used as a sand bath.
However, be careful if there are children!
The powder must be stored dry.

Looks like you answered our question - food grade. You don't want to use food grade DE in the pool.
Ok, what should I look for - I mean, what are the differences? Both this and another product I found (to keep snails away) says "100 % diametous earth" on the label - and claims that is is safe for people and pets.

Like this:
About the product

Green Protect Snail Barrier is an effective and chemical-free solution for protecting the garden against snail attacks.

A coarse, grain-like, absorbent mineral with sharp edges.

The water-resistant grains act as a barrier that protects plants in the garden.

Eco-friendly and chemical-free grains that do not kill or harm pets.

Biodegradable grains can be incorporated into the soil at the end of the season. Easy to use - simply sprinkle a barrier around plants.

Safe and harmless for use around children, pets and garden wildlife, including hedgehogs.

The packaging is made from recycled material.

Covers up to 30m with a barrier of 1.5 – 2 cm wide.

While waiting for @Donldson to see this discussion, I'll add some previous discussions below that may help you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Please note - I am under EU-regulations here..... We can hardly by anything not labeled "food grade" (n)
Which now means that our weed-killing sprays are pretty much as effective as lukewarm water, the bug repellents attracts mosquitoes (and repels people :LOL:). Heck, even our cucumbers have an EU-standard for the allowed maximum curving (and I'm not joking........)

While waiting for @Donldson to see this discussion, I'll add some previous discussions below that may help you.

Great, thanks - I'll look into these

Ok - no surprise..... I checked around. Pool-grade DE is not allowed here, as it is treated like asbestos thus causing lung-issues.
Asbestos was banned around 30 years ago here, and can only be found in some old roofs.
Surprised I can even buy Chlorine.........:ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Texas Splash
Sorry I'm late, busy morning and wasn't able to reply when I first read it.

I can confirm the above, insect DE is food grade. It's safe to use around the house, which is a good indication it's not the same as filtration DE.

I'll just throw in my non-medical opinion that DE is not even close to the same level as asbestos, but it can cause similar lung problems with prolonged regular exposure so it doesn't come as a surprise it's coming under a bit more regulatory scrutiny. You might be able to find fibrous material that is sold as a DE alternative. Not my favorite, but if a water polish is needed and DE isn't available it could work if some is available.

Reactions: Texas Splash
What are the Different Grades of DE?

"Pool Grade Diatomaceous Earth​

It's important to be aware of pool grade diatomaceous earth. Because of the porous nature of the diatom, it has the ability to filter impurities, even in water. To achieve the pool grade, they heat the diatomaceous earth to high temperatures. This heating process alters the diatomaceous earth enough that it won't work in your home, yard, or garden-like food grade does."

Reactions: jokael
Sorry I'm late, busy morning and wasn't able to reply when I first read it.

I can confirm the above, insect DE is food grade. It's safe to use around the house, which is a good indication it's not the same as filtration DE.

I'll just throw in my non-medical opinion that DE is not even close to the same level as asbestos, but it can cause similar lung problems with prolonged regular exposure so it doesn't come as a surprise it's coming under a bit more regulatory scrutiny. You might be able to find fibrous material that is sold as a DE alternative. Not my favorite, but if a water polish is needed and DE isn't available it could work if some is available.
Thank you for that.
That is also the reason it is banned - not because it is similar to asbestos, but it falls in the same category when it comes to damages.
I have tried to search for fiber alternatives, but the only thing that comes close are those fiber balls some use instead of sand.
Don’t think it’s a good idea to mix them with the sand 🤔
Sadly enough, when it comes to pools I really live in a third-world country……
Of those I know with pools, mine is the only one never emptied.
Everyone one else store theirs away every fall.
I even got the comment: “You’re re-using the water?????? Glad my kids are not swimming in your pool!!!”
In the entire country, we only have 2 (two) dedicated pool companies.
And then maybe 10 stores specialized in spa and hot-tub, with little knowledge of pools.
We actually have more ski- and winter sports companies, despite being one of the flattest countries and some winters not getting a single snowflake😂
So I’m pretty much on my own.
DH’s friend, who is a pool”expert” (you know, the one whose pool always has a green tint “because chlorine is yellow and water is blue…….”) came by yesterday and brought his 16-1 aliexpress teststrips and concluded that we needed some chlorine neutralizer asap, as “it must never go over 3 - then it will eat your skin!”
That the white sediment was just from “all that granulate shock you’ve poured in” and that it cannot be avoided in a pool. Strange, when I’m only using liquid……
And that my pH should never go under 7.8, as pH over 7.8 is what kills algae. Chlorine is only to avoid bacteria from the people who uses the pool, so you don’t need to add it when no one uses it. Oh, and you know - if you don’t smell chlorine, you need to add it. (But still we have too much, despite no smell 😁)

That’s the “experts” we have here. 😂😂😂😂😂

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: farmy87 and PieterS
I've had pretty good luck with using a bit of filter-fiber stuff if that's available to you. Just watch that filter pressure and back-wash as needed.
I think we only have filterballs to use instead of sand. But I’ve put a nylon knee high in between the suction tube and filter basket to see, if something can be caught there.

I’m slamming at the moment and the pool is looking better and better. But now I’m at a standstill regarding cloudiness. For the last 3 days, the cloudiness has not really changed.
I can clearly see the bottom when I first check, but as soon as I brush or vacuum, the water is filled with tiny white particles.
Picture taken over skimmer hose for comparison.
IMG_4608.png
When I vacuum, the particles are blown back in the pool 👎🏻
Is it dead algae or something that must be tackled in a different way?
Will a skimmer sock help?
And since I don’t vacuum through the skimmer, where would I attach it?
Could I use an alternative to a skimmer sock, so I don’t need to wait (can only be bought online)? I’ve heard about using a knee-high - but also a tube sock, since the nylon might not catch the small particles. Any thoughts?

Oh - test results from this night:
Cya: 30
FC: 14
TC: 16 (I’m over-shooting, as I test with dpd photometer only)
TA: 80

Have you backwashed your sand filter? When fighting algae that is needed to clear the sand filter.
Alternatively you can vacuum to waste if that is feasible.

Do you have a hairnet, like they may use in a kitchen. In USA, we can buy a 100 for like $10 on Amazon. So easy to install on basket and then discard. Not sure what you have access to.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.