Is it just a waiting game at this point or should I be looking for other problems?

May 23, 2015
Coventry, RI
I’ve never opened a pool that looked this bad. The first picture is from last Friday evening and the second is today (the following Thursday).

The pool store says my chlorine level is sky high (I indiscriminately added a ton of chlorine) and my other numbers are more or less good.

It’s just stayed at this color and cloudiness for the last three days. I can only see 3/4 of the way down then nothing. Still can’t see the bottom.

I’ve blindly leaf raked everything off the bottom that I could. I backwash regularly (the water during backwash is very very gross so it’s filtering)

I did add way too much clarifier so that might be making the cloudiness worse.

Is it just a waiting game now or is there more I should be doing? Is there reason to believe anything is wrong?

It’s been six days this afternoon that I started opening the pool.

3C2CCF2B-87F4-4B2B-A823-839E1B2BC17D.jpgFD0EAEC4-A65A-4555-AFB6-A20141CF2610.jpg

Going to the pool store and following their advice is NOT the SLAM process.

SLAM Process is a process that is guaranteed to clear the pool when done properly. It involves testing and correctly dosing chlorine, not dumping a bunch in and hoping for the best. It also involves accurate and reliable testing, which unfortunately pool stores are in short supply of. You are going to need a TF-100 or k-2006c to properly measure and get your levels in order to SLAM correctly.

While we often preach patience, being patient with the pool store right now is going to lead to greener waters and lighter wallets. The sooner you get what you need to start an actual SLAM the sooner you can get your water cleared.

Mine looked like that last year. Had holes in cover it looked like a swap. I have a DE filter and I needed to open that and clean my fingers about 4 times they were getting clogged up from the gunk. That and follow the SLAM PROCESS in here. Make sure you get a good test kit. It took me several days of work but it was finally crystal clear again. Good luck!

You will need a good FAS/DPD test kit, such as the TF 100 or Taylor K2006. Slamming the pool calls for frequent testing and dosing the pool up to slam level. You must keep the pool at slam level as much as possible during the slam process. You must also choose which advice to follow, TFP or pool store, as they are not compatible. I think you've already got a good taste of what pool store advice will do for you! If you decide to slam the pool you will need one of the test kits I mentioned and a lot of liquid chlorine. You can use liquid chlorine from a pool supply aisle in a big box store like Lowes or Walmart, or you can use plain, unscented, bleach without fabric protection added.

Please edit your signature to tell us about your pool. Size, type, and capacity, filter brand, type, and size, whether or not you use well water, and any extra features on your pool such as fountains, spas, deck jets, ect...

Fair enough.

I have a testing kit and am eager to start right away.

That said my CYA level is like 2ppm. The pool store told me that adjusting stabilizer level was the last step after the pool was clear.

I have two gallons of liquid stabilizer coming in tomorrow. Is it a waste to start now considering how low my CYA level is?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.