?is it black algae?

Labradabra

Dec 9, 2017
Kings mountain nc
Over the past mo (since leaves had gotten in the pool) I keep seeing pinpoint blackish areas that clump together on top of the water. The pool is clear not cloudy and all my chemical levels are right where they need to be and have always been good. I wasn't sure if it is even algae, it looks like little bugs moving around. I took a sample to my pool place and they said it was bugs and not algae , but it's winter and 50 in daytime/30s at night, not sure what bugs it would be and it keeps coming back. I've never had algae before but does that sound like it to anyone?
Saltwater pool, filter runs 5hrs/day.
thank you for any help

I have never heard of black algae, or any algae that was floating on top of the water. My guess is that it is bugs, plant material/pollen, or something else wind blown.

Look up "Spingtails" for some close up photos. Use the magnifier or zoom on your phone to take some pics of the bugs in your pool and compare. They are much smaller than ants, tend to live in moist landscape areas, and form in clumps on the water surface. The are not great swimmers and drown in the pool eventually. You can speed up the process by adding some dish washing soap, but that's only a temporary solution. I'm not sure how they do in colder climates, but a bit of googling indicates they can be active year-round.

20190512_131623-jpg.105251

Last edited:
Over the past mo (since leaves had gotten in the pool) I keep seeing pinpoint blackish areas that clump together on top of the water. The pool is clear not cloudy and all my chemical levels are right where they need to be and have always been good. I wasn't sure if it is even algae, it looks like little bugs moving around. I took a sample to my pool place and they said it was bugs and not algae , but it's winter and 50 in daytime/30s at night, not sure what bugs it would be and it keeps coming back. I've never had algae before but does that sound like it to anyone?
thank you for any help
Pictures?

Look up "Spingtails" for some close up photos. Use the magnifier or zoom on your phone to take some pics of the bugs in your pool and compare. They are much smaller than ants, tend to live in moist landscape areas, and form in clumps on the water surface. The are not great swimmers and drown in the pool eventually. You can speed up the process by adding some dish washing soap, but that's only a temporary solution. I'm not sure how they do in colder climates, but a bit of googling indicates they can be active year-round.

Springtails! That's exactly what it is!
Thanks so much for the info!!
Anyone ever deal with them before
thank you for any help

Springtails! That's exactly what it is!!
Thank you for the info!!
Anyone ever deal with them before?

I battled them late last summer for the first time after living in the home for several years. I can only guess they appeared as a result of an unusually wet winter and spring. They nest in moist areas around the pool, particularly mulched areas, and make their way into the pool by crawling or jumping. I used a liquid form of Talstar P, a bifen-based insecticide. It took a couple applications of Talstar, but the springtails eventually disappeared. If they reappear this year, I'll try Talstar P granules earlier in the season. Check out "domyown" for more info.

Here's something I previously posted about the product...
Until I found Talstar P, I battled ants, spiders and other pests using insecticides from the big box and home improvement stores. I also tried homemade ant traps using sugar water and boric acid. Although the products worked to kill visible bugs, they offered no long-lasting effects. Bugs would return within a week or two. Talstar P keeps bugs away for three to four months. I purchased the 96 oz container of concentrate (about $45) which makes about 96 gallons at medium strength. Smaller containers are available but price per ounce increases significantly. It's pet/child safe after it dries and can be used indoors for cracks and crevices. Shelf life is three to five years. Been living bug free since I started using this stuff.

More info here: Talstar P Professional Insecticide

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.