Is it a bad idea to vacuum if I can’t see bottom of pool?

dmitchsmith

May 25, 2020
Central North Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I’m a new pool owner (bought a house with a pool) and since opening the pool I’ve been battling a lot of debris on pool floor as well as cloudy water. The mesh covering over the pool last winter had torn in a couple places along the seams and allowed in lots of leaves and debris. I have done a ton of brushing and scooping to get the debris out. I’m now left with smaller bits and pieces of debris that’s settled in the bottom and is harder and harder to scoop out.
Separately, i also have cloudy water and I think some of the debris is hindering my ability to maintain proper chlorine levels. So i want to clean as much of that bottom debris out as possible so I can better balance my pool water...and then clear up the cloudiness.
So my question is, is it a bad idea to attempt to vacuum this debris without being able to actually see what I’m doing?

Does this order of operations make sense? Or should I try to clear up cloudiness first and then get to the bottom?

I think you’re going to have a very hard time clearing up the water with debris in the pool because it’s going to eat up the chlorine pretty quickly. So I would get the debris out first and then start a SLAM process, as described on this web site.

I think you’re going to have a very hard time clearing up the water with debris in the pool because it’s going to eat up the chlorine pretty quickly. So I would get the debris out first and then start a SLAM process, as described on this web site.
That definitely makes sense. Any tips for attempting to vacuum while being unable to see what I’m doing? I’m continuing to brush and use the leaf rake but that’s becoming less efficient as the debris is now much more fine and not all captured by the rake.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.