Is heater as bad as it looks?

davidwat, What I used to see on the Raypaks were they rusted out from sitting outside. But for the last 6+ years the units come with a stainless steel floor plate which helps. However, you can't stop the outside elements from destroying a unit. I also see where people who have yard sprinkler systems do not pay close enough attention to where they spray. So they spray the units and over time will rust out the exterior as well.

If you use a pool service, I would suggest you spot check them your own tester kit.

I love it when "pool professionals" speak out against the Raypak saying it has "condensation" issues. ALL heaters have this issue if used in correctly. SMH

Latest issue is Gas. I found a bright pool pro who seems to know his business who noted that the 130 feet of 1.25in iron gas pipe shouldn't adequately feed a 400k heater. He suggests a downsize to 266 Raypak, but that seems to be cutting it close for an 18-20k gal pool and spa.

How solid are the std gas pipe size recs for pool heaters?
Can I reasonably nudge it up to a 336k btu heater?
Do I need to boost pressure and add regulators?

Thx,
David - Dallas

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.