Is Foam Injection a Good Fix for a Leaking Skimmer?

Jul 10, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Our pool failed a bucket test, so I had a leak detector out and was told that one of our skimmer throats was leaking. The skimmer throats were epoxied about six months ago and apparently the epoxy failed. The leak detector recommended foam injection around the skimmers as a more permanent solution rather than just re-doing the epoxy. He said you can DIY or pay someone $350-450 per skimmer to do it. I found a video and it looks pretty straight forward (Skimmer Injection Repair - YouTube). The kit retails for $165 (Skimmer Injection Kit: Anderson Manufacturing Company, Inc.).

I'm curious if anyone else has gone the DIY route for skimmer foam injection and how it went. What are the downsides to DIY/how badly could I mess up my pool if things go awry? I am reasonably handy and would prefer to save the cash if possible, but I also don't want to screw up my pool and have to replace the skimmers entirely.

TIA!
Back in Jun 2018, TFP Forum Member baxtx posted a question about repairing a leaking skimmer using a foam injection kit from Anderson Manufacturing. Now, 15 months later, I have the same problem with a leaking skimmer and the same question about how to fix it. IMHO, the Anderson foam injection solution looks promising, so I'm grateful for baxtx's posting bringing it to my attention. However, it would be comforting to have some field data. Has anybody tried it or a similar product? Results? Advice? Thanks, Don

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.