Is FC 14 too high to swim in?

May 18, 2011
Kailua, Hawaii
New to SWG and have kinda been chasing my tail with up and down chlorine levels (we're in 'winter' here in Hawaii with clouds and rain many days so sun not as intense). I had to shock it some time ago and put 'sanitizer output%' level at max but have been lowering it last few days to get chlorine levels back to normal because FC has been creeping up (I just have not figured out the right % level yet for the situation). Today's FC test shows 14. Finally just put SWG to 0% today but am curious, is FC 14 too high to swim in? I 'closed' the pool for use by my family, but is that necessary? Will it do harm at that level?

Thanks, Ben.

Ok, thank you. Maybe I'm just a dunce here and I've looked at the link you gave, watched video, and I use the pool calculator, etc. but I don't see how you got the calculation of FC 27. I haven't been on this site in awhile because haven't been having problems that I couldn't deal with. SWG is fairly new. Can you point me to the link so I can do my own calculations?

SH,

If you look in the SWCG section of the chart you will see that with a CYA of 70, the SLAM FC level is 28.. You can swim as long as your FC is below the SLAM level and that is why I said 27 is safe..

Since measuring CYA is not too accurate, I would not swim at anything over 20, but I was giving you the theoretical answer.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: carnivalday
SH,

If you look in the SWCG section of the chart you will see that with a CYA of 70, the SLAM FC level is 28.. You can swim as long as your FC is below the SLAM level and that is why I said 27 is safe..

Since measuring CYA is not too accurate, I would not swim at anything over 20, but I was giving you the theoretical answer.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Anything over 20? ? Is that for all pools or just saltwater? Mine is 50 (“manually” chlorinated/non-saltwater) so your response kind of scared me for a second lol

Floatqueen - Jim was referencing FC of 20, not CYA of 20. I assume you are saying your CYA is 50. According to the chat below, for a CYA of 50 you should target FC of 6-8, never let it drop below FC of 4, and it is safe to swim up to your SLAM FC level of 20.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Floatqueen - Jim was referencing FC of 20, not CYA of 20. I assume you are saying your CYA is 50. According to the chat below, for a CYA of 50 you should target FC of 6-8, never let it drop below FC of 4, and it is safe to swim up to your SLAM FC level of 20.

Ohhhh, okay! That totally makes sense. And yes, I meant my CYA is 50. FC of 50 would be insane lol!! I always keep my FC at 6 and use my PoolMath app to log my readings. I just got confused since he was talking about CYA before mentioning 20, so I thought he meant a CYA of 20. ??‍♀️ Thank you for clarifying!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.