Is CYA of 80 too high?

TGMcCallie said:
To anonapersona: I did the test twice using the same sample. I don't know if I still could see the circle or if my mind was playing truck on me but the first time it was closer to 120 and second time 110. About a week ago the pool store told me it was 80.

Tom

Then trust yourself. Quite possible for the level to have climbed 10 or 20 in a week, even if the pool store was corrrect. In my pool of 23,000 gallons, normal weekly usage of 7 tablets plus 2 bags of shock would add 10 to the CYA. You are probably using way more than that if you've been fighting algae.

I see you have a sand filter, are you backwashing frequently? That is one way to dump water. The water you add will have no CYA at all, though it may be high in calcium or alkalinity.

TGMcCallie said:
No, I have never in 30 years had any algea in my pool. I usse auto chlorinator set at about setting 1/2 and I don't use many 3 inch tabs at all.

I backwash when my pressure gague rises 5 degrees.

Tom

My bad, I didn't go back to review your post re algae or not.

Then, still, trust your own readings and ignore the pool store's.

TGMcCallie said:
Duraleigh, got aquestion. The blue PH test kit in the TF100 only reads a PH of 8. The same is true for the CL test in the blue tester. How do you deterine what the ph and cl is if it is above these color readings?

The PH results are the one that I got by using the blue PH/CL test kit.

If the PH is higher than the scale on the tester, it's too high regardless. So you would assume 8.2, lower it with acid to 7.4, and then wait an hour or so and retest, and continue adding acid until it gets into range. It's better this way anyway so you aren't adding a ton of acid all at once.

The yellow OTO is only total chlorine and is usefull for daily quick checks to make sure chlorine is present. Mostly people will use the FAS-DPD test for more detail.

(I hardly use the OTO because I can't tell the difference between 2-5. I just use the FAS-DPD test.)

Your PH of 7.6 is good.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.