Is Clarifier and Floculant the same thing?

Aug 4, 2015
Boston, MA
Hello TFP,

I am trying to get the pool going after opening but deep end still very cloudy cant see the bottom yet. I decided to put a small amount of Clorox Pool Clarifier in there is a lot of fine dirt it seems that just gets kicked back up. I debated adding it but hoping it may help some. It says on the bottom it helps with fine particles so is it essentially a floc?

Also any advice other than vacumming to get fine dirt up? I used a small amount of the clarifier still running filter maybe should turn to recirculate but it was like 3 ounces i added.

Floc combines with dirt and settles to the bottom so you can vacuum it. Clarifier sticks particles of dirt together which remain in suspension so the filter can filter better.

Reactions: beantownace
We generally say don't use these products as they can cause more harm than good.

Cloudy pools are more often a chemistry issue than a filtering issue.

Do you have a test kit? Can you post a full set of test results

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

How do you chlorinate the pool?

What have you added to the pool other than clarifier?

My T
We generally say don't use these products as they can cause more harm than good.

Cloudy pools are more often a chemistry issue than a filtering issue.

Do you have a test kit? Can you post a full set of test results

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA

How do you chlorinate the pool?

What have you added to the pool other than clarifier?
Just shock so far level overall are not bad TA is at 70 need to bring it up a tad, PH is low its at 7.1. I wont add anymore clarifier I was curious if it was best to wait til tomm now to bring TA up or okay to add after about 4 hours have passed mid afternoon. FC is low even after two bottles shock yesterday FC is about 0.22. I added some tabs into a floater not direct skimmer until my SWG can kick in warmer weather. When pool was opened it was like 12 bottles but it's actually much better overall.

Last edited:
My T

Just shock so far level overall are not bad TA is at 70 need to bring it up a tad, PH is low its at 7.1. I wont add anymore clarifier I was curious if it was best to wait til tomm now to bring TA up or okay to add after about 4 hours have passed mid afternoon. FC is low even after two bottles shock yesterday FC is about 0.22. I added some tabs into a floater not direct skimmer until my SWG can kick in warmer weather. When pool was opened it was like 12 bottles but it's actually much better overall.
Well, "shock" could be many products - they are not all the same. What specific "shock"

Tabs, no matter how you add them are almost 50% stabilizer

Do you have a quality test kit?

Well, "shock" could be many products - they are not all the same. What specific "shock"

Tabs, no matter how you add them are almost 50% stabilizer

Do you have a quality test kit?
bottle says 12.5% sodium hypochlorite and 85% other ingredients :). Its this element pool shock bottle local pool store 4 pack I got. I do have a good test regular kit with the drops and I also use with it a pool lab 1.0 photometer which is really good if the reagent breaks up well. I use them both to get a really good idea where its at.

Floc combines with dirt and settles to the bottom so you can vacuum it. Clarifier sticks particles of dirt together which remain in suspension so the filter can filter better.
Thanks that makes sense so from what I read it can take some time for the clarifier to work on the fine particles to help filter some of it out. Do you think its safe to start to balance with adding some alkalinity first then wait a day and I will raise my PH next? Debating now that I added the small amount of clarifier wait a full day to raise TA

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.