Is Chlorine Too High to Start Swimming?

Mar 14, 2018
East Northport, NY
We just set up our Intex pool last weeked. We haven't been in the water yet. I just ran my first round of tests on my TF-100 kit and got the following results:

FC = 12ppm (I had originally posted 15, but I double and triple checked and got 12 the next two times)
CC = 2ppm
TC = 17ppm

Calcium = 100
TA = 99
CYA = 25 (my 2lbs of CYA just finished dissolving last night (I used the sock method) - I think I've read this test won't be accurate yet?)
pH = 7.5

Salt = 2010

I did not add any clorox on set-up, just the CYA (in powder form in the sock); had the filter running , and had the SWG running.

I hope I posted all the needed information. I really want my kids to be able to test out the pool this afternoon, but don't know if it is safe/advisable with the high chlorine level? I'm also confused how it got that high to begin with (I thought I was going to have to add clorox)?

Thanks so much for any help!!

It is ok to swim up to the shock level at your CYA level per the attached chart. Since you only have CYA of 25 (round up to 30), and the SWCG section only shows lower CYA levels, read from the top section to see that your Shock Level is an FC of 12. [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

So anything FC 12 or lower is safe to swim. That said, you should have much more CYA in your pool since you use a SWCG. I'd recommend getting it up to around 70, 60 minimum. Shoot for 60 to not overshoot.

Personally, I'd get some more CYA in a sock, give it some squeezes and let them go in later this afternoon. Your are close to a safe level and by adding more CYA will be within a safe level. The cutoff is not absolute on swimmable water.

Thanks so much for the quick response. So having more CYA will lower the free chlorine because more of it will be bound up with the CYA? Just checking whether I am understanding.

I can pop in more CYA as long as it is okay to swim while dissolving from the sock?

Great choice to get a quality test kit!

Your CC of 2 is concerning. Is the water clear? Also, TC is not a viable term using TFPC. FC and CC are meaningful measurements.

I would hold off on any extra CYA being added until the CC value is resolved.

Take care.

The water is crystal clear. Is the level of 2 a concern from a safety perspective? I'll re-run the test again now to make sure I'm not making errors...

- - - Updated - - -

And just to help me better understand the CYA situation....

I thought I had read this test won't be accurate for up to a week after it dissolves? I'm not sure how to make decisions given that....hold tight and wait for some chlorine to just burn off?

Also, does this high FC mean I over-ran my SWG (is that what would have caused the problem?

Thanks again!!!

As the CYA was dissolved using the sock method you should be able to test for it in 24 hours as long as you circulated the pool for several hours during that time.

The CC reading indicated the result of FC oxidizing organic matter. Typically means algae. I would suggest a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tonight.

The higher FC is due to running your SWCG I would suppose. Use the SWG Run Time Calculator as a starting point in setting up your SWCG. Most pools consume 2-4 ppm FC per day. Start with 3 ppm FC loss in the calculator.

Take care.

Ah, I'm so sorry to be a nuisance, I'm just figuring out that the CC being closer to zero is a good thing (I swear I did some reading before I started, I think I started to get overwhelmed with actual test results in front of me). I just checked again, and I would say my CC is officially 0.5. So I think that is better, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Given the above, should I still do the overnight test you recommended? Can't thank you enough for your help....

CC of 0.5 is fine.

Up to you on the OCLT. Always a nice confirmation that no organics are in the pool.

If you do a OCLT, be sure your SWCG is off the entire time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You will wish to add more for your SWCG. But, if you wish to run a OCLT tonight, I would suggest waiting for that result before adding more CYA.

Salt does not effect a OCLT. It is advisable to run your pump for 24 hours without the SWCG on after adding salt.

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.