Is a Robot Cleaner Overkill for Me?

wjmano

Gold Supporter
May 19, 2021
Wildwood, FL
I haven't invested in an automatic pool cleaner yet. I've read many positive reviews about robot cleaners -- not so much on suction cleaners.

My pool is 10k gallons and sits inside a screened-in enclosure, so I don't get any large debris. What I don't enjoy is manually brushing and vacuuming the pool on occasion.

My kidney shaped pool is 34' in length, but 8' of this is a sunning shelf with only 1' of water. (How do cleaners deal with these?) The width averages 13' and the deep end is 5'. My pool does have a dedicated suction line to accommodate a suction cleaner.

Given all of this, which way should I be leaning? Suction or robot?

Thanks!
Bill

Plan on brushing the ledge into the pool. Then run the robot. It won’t likely do the ledge though some have said it will. Not a sure bet at all. It will still be a great help getting all the fine dust like debris out. I’d get one in your scenario. Also not a brushing fan here.

Robot all the way in my book.

Reactions: wjmano
8700 gallons here and 10+ years of pressure side cleaner. Bought a Warrior SE and it is above
and beyond better than what I had. Climbs steps, sorta, but wasn't expecting it. Does scrub
everything...walls, tile line, floor and does a great job. Some days I think, "well I guess I'll run it even
though it doesn’t look like it needs it". You should see what "Kevin" manages to collect! You
can leave in pool or out...owner preference. I brush the steps and bench. Takes about 2 min.

Decided to go with either the Warrior SE, Active 20 or S200, but Marina Pools is now out of stock on all these (and many others). They don't expect another supply "until at least July". They suggested the Explorer E30 as an option that's currently in stock for $769 -- $70 more than the SE but with only 1 set of filters and no rebate that I know of. I didn't get to talk to Margaret, but Seth said the Explorer E30 was the same as the SE/S200 otherwise. Not sure if I'll wait for my initial preferred choices.

I'm in the same boat. E30 is supposed to be delivered today, can't wait to try it out. You can get the rough pre insert + ultra fine filters @ a discount from Marina. I'm going to go that route. More money than I'm wanting to spend and I'd rather have the Warrior SI since it comes with the filter setup I want + manual control. Didn't want to have to wait 2+ months nor the chore of manual clean (side suction) while I waited. At least this way with the E30 and filters I'll have more options. The "spring" fine filter for combatting leaves and bigger debris, "ultra fine" to really do a deep cleaning during normal weekly cleanings when the pool looks clean but really isn't with all the silt/sand/pollen/dust/dead algae etc, or go the rough pre + ultra fine if there's a mix in between leaves and silt.

Maytronics/Marina's website could make the different filter combos a bit clearer on when and how, best practice type stuff, IMO. I know she goes over it on the Youtube video but it's a bit quick, I'd like to have like a spreadsheet matrix with the pros/cons and use cases. :)

Last edited:
Didn't realize the various filter options could be complicated options to consider -- I'll have to do some more research. My pool is inside a birdcage so I get no large debris - only smaller stuff from plants we have sitting nearby -- may get rid of these eventually.

BTW, do you know if a caddy can be added to either the Warrior SE or Active 20/S200 machines, or do I need to bump up to the higher cost models? I've never owned one of these and I'm not sure where I'll be storing everything -- garage or my deck storage box, which is getting full. I'm worried the trek to my garage may not work well if pulling a full caddy through grass is an issue.

You can order a caddy afterwards. I'm just gonna store my E30 on its side/upside-down (shouldn't store them on their tracks) inside my Suncast chest on my pool deck.

My new guy giving it heck!
15171038664005129974.jpg

I gotta say I'm really surprised how much just the spring fine filter picked up! I had my sand filter replaced and new quartzscapes plaster this past winter. Look at all that grit!
10947388829040473437.jpg

Reactions: bmoreswim
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.