Is a Jandy 3-way valve closed port air tight for suction?

trev

Mar 1, 2017
Australia
I'm currently building a pool, have just started running water through the filtration system, and have small bubbles coming into the pump basket from the suction side pipe.

The pool has dual wall suctions close to the floor at the deep end (tee'd together) and a single skimmer. A Jandy 3-way valve at the pump intake selects between the skimmer or wall suction.

Currently the water level is above the wall suction, but below the skimmer, so I'm running the filtration system with the Jandy closing the skimmer.

The pump is about 5 feet above the pool (and around 9 feet above the current water level).

My question is: Given that the skimmer pipes are full of air (and open to air at the skimmer end) and the suction from the pump plus the water being so far down is quite strong, might the air be coming from the Jandy flap bending and leaking air from the skimmer pipe? If so, presumably all will be good once the water reaches the skimmer.

I guess the test would be to plug the skimmer, but I'd prefer to avoid it if this is something that is typical.

Thanks.

Most folks don't turn on their equipment until the pool is full so I'm not sure many will be able to comment. What you state seems logical to me and may very well be what is happening. Hopefully this bump up to the top will get you a few more comments.

Thanks for your reply.

Just an FYI in case anyone runs into the same issue in future, it was the Jandy valve. Once the water was above the skimmer and the skimmer pipes were full of water, the bubbles went away.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.