Is a backwash line tied to city sewer always required in Lewisville, TX?

jpdallas

In The Industry
May 26, 2021
Dallas
I'm trying to build my own pool in Lewisville, TX. Looking at the Residential Swimming Pool/Spa Requirements provided by the city, it says all pools and spas need a p-trap and backwash line tied to the city sewer. Looking around at other cities in the area, many have similar requirements. I'm planning on installing a cartridge filter, not DE. Does this mean I will have to trench all the way to tie into the city sewer no matter what? I won't even have a backwash valve! Can anyone shed some light here? I attached below a snip of the actual rules. The exception to this rule are for bodies of water below 750 gallons and for lots without access to city sewer.

1622045802660.png

It would be best to contact the city and ask them. Mention that you will be using a cartridge filter and that there is no way to actually backwash a cartridge filter.

They still may require a backwash line tied to the sanitary sewer line for those times you need to drain the pool. Being in Texas, you will need to drain some water either before or after a large rain event. Many users plumb in a Jandy 3-way valfe between the pump and filter for the purpose of draining.

It would be best to contact the city and ask them. Mention that you will be using a cartridge filter and that there is no way to actually backwash a cartridge filter.

They still may require a backwash line tied to the sanitary sewer line for those times you need to drain the pool. Being in Texas, you will need to drain some water either before or after a large rain event. Many users plumb in a Jandy 3-way valfe between the pump and filter for the purpose of draining.
Thanks, I have contacted the building official and am waiting for a response. As for draining the water, I agree. But having worked in the pool business for a few years, to my knowledge I've never seen a pool with a cartridge filter having a 3-way valve to pump to waste in this area. But I haven't done business in Lewisville, mostly Dallas. The pools here have a drain along the tile line that drains water when the level gets too high. But again, that's in Dallas, not where I'll be building. Much appreciated!

Pools in your area do mostly have an overflow drain. But if you need to drain below the level of the overflow, you will need other options. Pool Builders don't necessarily think ahead for such situations. You indicated you are doing this yourself. As such, think ahead for your future requirements - it will make your pool life easier.

Best to see what the city requires as far as the backwash line to sewer connection..

Pools in your area do mostly have an overflow drain. But if you need to drain below the level of the overflow, you will need other options. Pool Builders don't necessarily think ahead for such situations. You indicated you are doing this yourself. As such, think ahead for your future requirements - it will make your pool life easier.

Best to see what the city requires as far as the backwash line to sewer connection..
Good points, thanks for the advice!

jp,

I agree that the only way to get the right answer is to talk to the City Insp..

I live in Bedford Texas and originally wanted a DE filter.. My pool builder said that if we installed a DE or Sand filter the City would require us to pipe the backwash water to the sewer.. But, if we installed a cartridge filter, that no drain line was required.. Not sure your City has to same rules, but it should give you a little hope... :mrgreen:

And... I am very happy with my large cartridge filter and will never, ever go back to DE..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Last edited:
I'm trying to build my own pool in Lewisville, TX. Looking at the Residential Swimming Pool/Spa Requirements provided by the city, it says all pools and spas need a p-trap and backwash line tied to the city sewer. Looking around at other cities in the area, many have similar requirements. I'm planning on installing a cartridge filter, not DE. Does this mean I will have to trench all the way to tie into the city sewer no matter what? I won't even have a backwash valve! Can anyone shed some light here? I attached below a snip of the actual rules. The exception to this rule are for bodies of water below 750 gallons and for lots without access to city sewer.

View attachment 337716
Hello neighbors. Northlake TX here

Reactions: jpdallas
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.