Jun 29, 2019
Atlanta Ga
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hey guys,
I hope everyone is having a good swim season! As for me, not so much. Start up has been really rough this year,
My fault of coarse. Didn’t cover my pool over the winter and it took forever to get leaves and algae under control. During this, I topped off the pool with my well water forgetting the iron filter on the hose and of coarse, I have been fighting it since. I have had luck with poly fill in the past but not been getting it done this time. After the chlorine is Burt up, The pool clears up color wise but still cloudy. I added the normal liquid chlorine , and it is of coarse, changed color again. I added poly fill to the skimmer and even made up a bucket filter full of poly fill and dropped a submersible pump attached to it to add some filtration. The tests are as follows:
Chlorine: 2.5
PH: 7.5
Alkalinity:60
Cya is 0

Any advice to speed things up? I have thought about a sequesterant but haven’t used any before and worried this will lead to issues down the road. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks.

You won't get much iron with an FC that low. It's not activating the iron to react with the chlorine. While having no CYA makes the chlorine much stronger, a CYA of zero this time of year doesn't help either. I would increase the CYA to 30. At the same time increase the FC to about 7-8 ppm today and see if that makes the iron react and helps with filtration of iron. Of course it might increase the potential for staining, but either way the iron needs to come out or you'll have to use a sequestrant indefinitely. I would also recommend doing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to ensure you aren't having an algae bloom in its early stages.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Hey PL !!!

You need CYA and the appropriate FC to match and STAT !!! Without any CYA (or low CYA) ou won't hold chlorine for more than an hour or two and it's the fast lane to Swampville. It could be contributing to the current cloudiness. Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to find out.

If it's only iron, have a read through my man Mguzzy's adventure that he documented.

Yikes! :oops: CYA of zero jumps off the page at me. That allows your chlorine to be consumed by the sun daily and invites algae into your pool almost guaranteed.

I would address the problem of your CYA/FC issue first and address the iron separately at a later time.

Go to Pool Care basics where you can learn the utmost importance of CYA and then prepare to SLAM your pool.

You have a two step process. First get the water sanitary and clear and after that deal with the iron.

Reactions: Mdragger88
The SLAM Process & the polyfill filtering can be done simultaneously.
You likely have both issues as mentioned above. The water looks very cloudy.
Like Pat & the others have said u need 30ppm cya stat (via the sock method) or that chlorine is gone in a flash! Then proceed with Slam until u pass ALL 3 end of slam criteria. The more often u test fc & replenish slam level FC/CYA Levelsthe faster u will meet all 3 criteria.

Reactions: newdude
Added the proper amount of stabilizer to reach 30 ppm in some socks in front of the return and chlorine to 10. I guess it’s a waiting game now!
SLAM Process fc level for cya of 30 is 12ppm. FC/CYA Levels u just dose like it’s already in the water because it will be quickly.
Also don’t wait too long - replenishing to 12 ppm every couple of hours if u can is best.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.