Iron staining, metal magic and Aa

May 13, 2018
Matthews NC
Hi all!
We are dealing with recurrent metal staining. Newer to tfp, so I am hopeful that will have less issues in general this season but following your wisdom ?

After lots of reading, we decided to try Proteam metal magic to see if it would lift the stains. I hate the chlorine demand of AA treatment, so it seemed worth a shot. Can anyone tell me if stains lifted past the 48 hour mark? Proteam says it may take up to a week. But with chlorine already low, I'd like to do AA treatment sooner if it's necessary. Thanks!!

I've never had any luck lifting significant iron stains with Metal Magic or Jack's Pink Stuff. Personally, I'd just bite the bullet and do the AA treatment, as it is very fast, and very effective. Just use some polyquat algaecide to prevent an outbreak, while you're running 0 FC. Stay away from the copper containing algaecides. I've done AA many times, and haven't had a significant algae issue.

Lifting the stains is just half the battle...you have to figure out how to prevent them from returning, otherwise this will just be a recurring cycle. For me, draining the pool, and refilling with iron free water was the solution. I got tired of the Metal Magic treatments every week. I'm about a month into the pool season here, and have no significant staining issues, with no water treatments.

Boo. Okay! I've just finished three partial drains and refills to get my cya down to a manageable number. I actually think the iron is from our tap water. Grrr. Off to buy AA!

If you live in Meck.county, you can dial 311 and ask for Charlotte Water. Ask them for a water report which they send out yearly. It would tell you if the river water you're getting in your tap has iron.

Have you considered one of those slow, but often effective bucket filters stuffed with pillow foam? Check Youtube out they have a bunch of videos showing the procedure. While most are above ground pools which clear in a little less than a week you might be able to rig something up and remove the iron over time.

Also consider a "Slime bag".... Google it.

Maddie :flower:

I have found limited success with slime bags, if you're running a sequestrant...but they will catch some rust after an AA treatment, if you don't have any Metal Magic in the water. It is my guess that the sequestrant keeps the iron in the water soluble form, and is then unable to be filtered out by the bags. Once the chlorine is able to oxide it into actual iron oxide, it can then be filtered out...do a degree anyway.

Your best route to success is to make sure the water you put in your pool is iron free. Pentek makes a legitimate hose end iron filter that seems to work very well, but it will run you about $100. I'd consider using that anytime you refill your pool, if you find significant amounts of iron in your source water. As they say, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.