Iron stain

Teald024

TFP Guide
So my opening didn't go perfect, or should I say my closing. When I pulled the cover off I found a lonely screwdriver sitting on the bottom of the pool, right under my skimmer. :confused: By the looks of the tool and vinyl liner, it was there for more than a couple of hours. So now I have this "nice" brown stain on the liner. :(

I guess the easy part is that I know that it is an iron stain. Now to get it off of there.

I found the article on metal stains and the Vitamin C / Ascorbic Acid Treatment for staining but those seem to be written to help if I have general staining, not one particular spot to treat. I get that Vitamin C / Ascorbic Acid will remove the stain, but I'm uncertain what to do next.

The stain is about 3" long and 1/2" wide. I've vacuumed up the loose bits.

How much Vit C / AA is needed?
Tablets or crushed in a sock?
Since this is only a spot treatment, I assume the FC drop isn't necessary?
Is the sequesterant needed with this (minimal?) stain?
Once the stain is gone off the liner do I need to do anything else?
Is this amount of staining significant enough in 12k gallons to cause me any future problems?

I'll try to grab a pic tonight.

Welcome to the forum:wave:

How much Vit C / AA is needed? Maybe 1/4 cup. enough to cover the stain

Tablets or crushed in a sock? crush the vitamions and put them in a sock
Since this is only a spot treatment, I assume the FC drop isn't necessary? correct
Is the sequesterant needed with this (minimal?) stain? No
Once the stain is gone off the liner do I need to do anything else? No
Is this amount of staining significant enough in 12k gallons to cause me any future problems?No

I'll try to grab a pic tonight.

I haven't tried any removal yet, but here is a shot of the stain. Looking at it again it is about 3" long and 1" wide.
WCl4tjM.jpg

When I pulled the cover off I found a lonely screwdriver sitting on the bottom of the pool, right under my skimmer..... I guess the easy part is that I know that it is an iron stain. Now to get it off of there.

Please reread my original post.

I fished this hunk of plastic & iron out myself with disappoint on my face :mad:. I wiped the rusty sludge off the screwdriver and there was a brown stain on the liner under it. It's definitely an iron stain. I think I'm going to wait til the water warms up a bit, it was a balmy 64F this morning. Thanks for the info about the Vit C.

6WlxuC1.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.