Iron in pool..have a salt system not using..which sequestrant do I use?

Jun 9, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Hello....I have iron in my pool from using the Clorox branded salt a few years ago. I am trying once again to remove this soon by following the plan i found on this site. However, regarding the sequestrant, I have a salt system but will not turn it back on for a few wks once we get everything under control: algae, chemicals, iron etc. My question is do I still need to use the Purple Stuff made for Salt pools as my sequestrant, or can I use regular sequestrants since I'm turning salt system on later. I'm sure it has salt in the water, but not at level it should due to vacuuming to waste recently. Thanks for the help.

My question is do I still need to use the Purple Stuff made for Salt pools as my sequestrant, or can I use regular sequestrants since I'm turning salt system on later. I'm sure it has salt in the water, but not at level it should due to vacuuming to waste recently.

Depends on your salt level. Test it with a K-1766 Taylor Salt Test

A salt water pool is considered a high TDS water body.[8] The major component of that TDS are sodium ions (Na+). Because sequestering agents are anionic compounds (they have negative charges to them), you want to use a sequestering agent that’s formulated to work when there are higher concentrations of metallic species in the water. The Jacks Magic products formulated for salt water pools will give you the performance you are looking for.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.