(Iron) Discoloration Under Waterline in Fiberglass Pool - AA treament, Polyfil, etc

I got to this pretty late.. what kind of filter do you have? I have very high iron in my well water, so much so that it will discolor my water when I add a bunch, but my sand filter removes it all in one day if I leave it running. I get no discoloration in my pool from it, but if I try to fill my hot tub from the hose it ends up looking like weak coffee!! I now actually fill my hot tub from my pool and have no problems with it.

Hayward S244S ProSeries Sand Filter.
I put polyfil in the skimmer but it didn’t catch any iron so I took it out for now. I got my FC up to 4.5 and will start to raise the PH and TA next. My water has cleared up but I can see the AA has settled to the bottom in several places. I’m assuming that if I didn’t add the Metal Magic the polyfil would have worked better? The pool math app said to add 9 lbs of baking soda to raise TA, but how much will it raise the PH? Thanks!
9D20650B-AC01-44DC-A3DD-396BB5725BFF.jpeg39D7C635-B31D-4D17-95B1-DCDE94788203.jpeg

The PoolMath APP's "Effects of Adding" should tell you what the impact to pH would be by adding 9 lbs of baking soda, but probably somewhere around 0.13 give or take.

From the AA page:

After AA Treatment
  • Bring up your ph and alkalinity, - use Arm and Hammer Washing Soda first, it will raise both ph and alkalinity.
  • Make sure you test in between, because you don't want your ph to go any higher than 7.2.
  • If your alkalinity is in range, and you still need to raise your ph, use Borax to take it up to no higher than 7.2.
  • You can start to bring up your chlorine. You want to do this slowly. It will take a lot of chlorine - preferably using liquid chlorine only at this time, and try to take it up to your minimum chlorine for your cya according to the Chlorine/CYA Chart.
  • As you slowly raise the chlorine, watch for stains starting to form.
  • If you see stains, make sure the ph is no higher than 7.2, and add more sequestering agent. You should see the stain lift in a couple of hours.
  • Do not raise to SLAM FC levels! Do not do a SLAM for at least 2 weeks!
  • Make sure you keep your ph low for (7.2) for a week or two - it won't be hard because the ascorbic acid and sequestering agent will help it stay low.
  • Once your chlorine starts to hold, it means that you have used up the ascorbic acid in the water and it will be easy to rebalance the pool back to recommended levels.

Reactions: Casey and Apsuhead
Where are you trying to get your TA to?
When I add enough water to turn the pool green, I run my pump for 24 hours straight sometimes with the chlorine blast sometimes without (Salt pool) after the 24 hours my pool is back to crystal blue and NO iron stains. No metal magic or anything like that.

TA target is 70. Here are my latest results. I added one gallon of liquid chlorine a week ago to raise FC to 4.5 but it was back to 0 today. So I added another gallon. I used way too much AA it seems, 3 pounds. My FC never dropped to 0 so I thought I could use a little more. 🤷🏻‍♂️
A3B88EC2-F0AD-435B-8109-D264E7ED443B.jpeg

Your TA is still slightly low, but not as critical right now so much as the lack of FC. You need to slowly and consistently add liquid chlorine to a point where it creeps-up and holds. No large dumps that could shock residual iron in the water, but you need some to avoid algae. Even in chilly water, you should get to your minimum FC level. Add about 1 ppm worth of FC at a time and retest in an hour or so then repeat. You may still be eliminating residual AA from the water.

Reactions: Apsuhead
I tested the FC today and it was around 1. It’s been warm and stormy here so my water is at 58 degrees. My SWG wasn’t showing cold so I set it to 100% and will keep checking FC today. My water is very cloudy from the leftover AA. it had settled on the bottom but I brushed it all towards my main drains this week. Running my robot now too. Kicking myself for using too much

My FC was up to 2.5 today. I backwashed my sand filter and it was full of white cloudy water from the AA. Hopefully this will help clear the water, it has been very cloudy. Here is a pic from the end of my backwash …
18DF3E23-129F-4747-9A0C-6128CA29BE2B.jpeg

Reactions: Texas Splash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My FC was down to 1 today so i’m still running the SWG at 100%. I did another quick backwash and lots of white cloudy water came out again. Hopefully my FC will start to hold and the water will clear up.

Still been backwashing every few days. Got my FC up to 7 three days ago. It was now at 4.5. I’m hoping it holds now. Water is slowly starting to clear. No sign of the iron stains returning.

I used the pool hose vacuum the other day with the sand filter on waste to remove some of the powder on the bottom. It stayed clear for a few days before it returned. I thought it was the ascorbic acid but i’m really not sure. I added some washing soda yesterday to raise the TA and PH. Hoping the pool doesn’t freeze the next 2 days 🥶
68D68A38-72FB-4972-88DC-899F398D6E17.jpeg57380F4A-B2E5-4822-AD78-23F29E946F62.jpeg

Nice picture. I wouldn't go crazy trying to adjust levels right now. Just let the weather do its thing. The pH tends to rise in colder water, so you don't want to make it rise either. Right now focus more on ensuring the pump continues to move water so that nothing freezes. You can always come back to the chemical levels a little later once the weather settles down. Stay warm!

Reactions: Apsuhead
Since I did my AA treatment and with the pump running 24/7 all winter … I have been getting powder/sand? deposits on the bottom on my pool regularly. Its been driving me crazy. I vacuumed it all up with filter on waste, used my robot, but it still comes right back each time. Any ideas? I always backwashed them rinsed after I did the AA treatment to try to clear the water 🤷🏻‍♂️A3292223-5B25-4D96-8D12-F50C0525634D.jpeg59D88A56-1556-44CD-8055-E4D15E9355D2.jpeg

Last edited:
My iron stains have returned today. I have a left over bottle of Metal Magic so I guess I will add that and see if it goes away for now. My 1.5 year old Pentair Warrior SE also died the other day. I emailed Marina but no reply yet. My sand filter still seems like something is off, I need to do a deep clean to see if I can find any problems. Fun times 😅
E6A4E13E-DF11-4B42-98C5-D8726DDD5098.jpeg

Metal Magic does not lift stains that have deposited on the surface.

The AA treatment will lift iron off of the surface and then the Metal Magic will sequester the metal and prevent it from redepositing. Metal Magic will degrade so you need to add it once in a while or the metal will deposit on the surface again.

What would you recommend as “once in a awhile.” Yearly? Six months? Monthly? Weekly? I did a successful AA treatment and added Jack’s magic in October before closing for the winter. The pool is open now and looks good.

What would you recommend as “once in a awhile.”

Read this thread to get an idea why it is not a simple answer other then dose as often as necessary to keep the pool looking good....

Reactions: JW1

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.