Intex ultraframe 22' x 52" sides of liner bowing out at bottom

Feb 28, 2013
Florida Space Coast
I've had several sizes and types of intex pools but the new one is doing something odd, wondering if it's normal because larger size or something wrong.

I originally put down bricks under each foot, like I used for my old 18' one. I know it shifts as it fills so they go perpendicular to the pool so the legs can scoot out a bit if needed, also I fiddled with them as it filled, but it still knocked some of them off as it settled because the legs moved a lot, so I'll need to jack the legs and reposition the bricks (that's a separate problem, going to try this https://youtu.be/I0Ckyd-hdMo )

However, now it's full and the sides look strange - they aren't straight-ish like my other two smaller ultra frames were, the liner pokes out at the bottom and the legs are all slanted out quite a bit. It's almost closer to a kettle shape like an easy set, not straight. The top rail slants a bit inward since all the legs are out, instead of it being flat/level.
I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this?

Other than some strange defect, all I can think of is maybe the level of the feet vs liner is wrong.
Could it be that I need to set all the bricks higher up? As in, the legs are down too far and the giant water bag is just slumping out?

The yard is packed sand, though the outer segment was looser since my old 18' had smashed down the center for a couple years. I tamped the sand for the wider area with a landscaping tool made for packing down sand, though that's never going to be as hard as thousands of pounds of weight. I inset the bricks to be about an inch above ground level since I knew it would pack down.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 20170716_205642.jpg
    20170716_205642.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 130
  • 20170716_205705.jpg
    20170716_205705.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 131
Nearly identical situation here. I went from and 18x48 metal frame to the 22x52 this year. My old Intex came with a rope to go around the legs, but as you know these newer pools do not. I filled mine and adjusted the legs until I couldn't move them anymore and mostly they stayed upright. However, we had heavy storms the night after I filled it and one of the legs kicked out and sunk.

I woke up in the morning to find the one support sunk down and saw that it did slide off the base. I attempted to jack it up with a floor jack and 2x4, but got nervous when the posts next to the one I was lifting were starting to also kick out. I decided to wrap a rope around the legs but couldn't get it tight enough that I though it would hold, so I wrapped some plastic coated wire around the base of the legs and tightened with a turnbuckle. I then ended up draining below the suction and jacked it up and reset the post.

I'm not 100% sure if your current set up is an issue or not. The poles are supposed to be basically upright, but a little outward slant is okay and my guess is it will be fine, but I know I would probably have to drain and fix it myself whether it was completely necessary or not. You could probably get away with draining it about half way if you decide to do that.

My 3 year old 22' does ( did) the exact same thing. My previous Intex 18'X 52 did not and the 18 footer also had the rope around the base to keep the legs tucked in. My 22 footer was so bad that many of the legs were pushed off the outside of the pavers. Between the first and second season I moved the worst pavers outward a bit after removing 90% of the water. I then screwed a stainless steel loop to each leg about 6 inches above the pavers, and ran a nylon coated cable through each loop and tensioned it with a turn buckle before refilling. The cable stopped the legs from being pushed off the pavers. :)

Reactions: debrrose
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.